Author Topic: "Badger's" Murphy's Law FUBAR *update LAPTOP GONE  (Read 10095 times)

Badger

"Badger's" Murphy's Law FUBAR *update LAPTOP GONE
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:12:25 AM »
Hey all.

so tonight I tried some single-player missions... and technical issues caused them to FAIL epically.  I'm hoping everyone can offer some advice.

Ok, first off, let me give you the stats of my laptop -
PROCESSOR: AMD - E-350 1.60ghz processor (little thing)
RAM: 3gb DDR5 - 2.6 free
Graphics Card: ATI-AMD Radeon HD 6310 1GB graphics cache

all user account BS is turned off, and I am an administrator  :cool:

as a whole, it seems only my processor is lacking really... ish.  I mean this is an old game.

okay... I know very little about computers, I've only been studying up on them for about 6 months now (ever since the IL-2SNAFU with my Girl's laptop  :grin:)

however, I "get" how they can work for people who "get" them.  For example, you give me a MOPAR small block, at idle, I can get pretty damn close to it's cam specs just listening to her.  I understand that for some, computers are much the same way.

here's what I've got, and what I've done:

343 GB free of 450 GB standard hard drive (none of that pretty SSD  :sad5:)
most of that, is pretty much IL-2 and IL-2 related.  My skins, templates, etc.  For example, my "Wildcat" template for GIMP is 18,000kb.  And I have those for all our planes. Let alone HD reference pics that take up a pretty penny themselves, about 15GB worth (no joke).

but for the most part, it's a nice, relatively un-added laptop that cost me all of $400 back in 2011  :grin: so, needless to say, I'm not complaining... if my desktop I'm building does this, I'm gonna be pissed lol.

so here's what's going on:
I have 5 versions of IL-2 on my computer, and here are their names/directories -

C:\IL-2BACKUP - this is a 4.09m version of the game, untouched
C:\IL-2MODDED - this is a slightly modded version of the 4.09m game, just basic planes add-ons.  About 15 all told.  USN/USMC centric with some P-40s thrown in for good measure
C:\IL-2UPDATED - this is my 4.12.2m version of the game, untouched
C:\HSFXAG51 - this is my main game - it's the full updated version of the game we use online (I think).
C:\HSFX_7_0_1Backup - this is a full updated version of the game we use online (I think).  Basically, I accidentally made two of them when I was originally doing this.  So now this is a backup. 

My "Backup," "Modded," and "Updated" came from a IL-2:1946 4.08m DVD.  The other two came from here.

now, my problem: something "hinky" is going on with the single mission and net missions in my AG51 version of the game.

great example - Straight From the Farm has a mission in its campaign, where the Dauntless takes off from the "Carrier" to climb to altitude, attack a ship off the coast, and return home.  Zeus_Cat added some TBF Avengers to the runway to "move up" the Dauntless, all with no fuel, just "place holders" if you will.

problem - somehow I end up piloting the TBF Avenger in the very back of the "flight line" lol.   Yep.  Tried this both in single mission "practice" and in the campaign.  No bueno.

another great example - Razor's Carrier Ops - the carrier doesn't exist.  His videos show a Hellcat or Avenger taking off and doing touch and goes on nothing.  They just hover above the ocean.  When I try to fly the missions, yep - my plane ends up in the water.

one last example - "White Sun Blue Sky" - second mission in the campaign - I'm flying the flying boat, instead of the 'Hawk.

now, so far, I've been okay with online play.  I was in that biplane during that Korea mission, and tonight went fine too.  Also frame rate seems great, even though I have everything on as high as it goes.  Carrier launches, landings, etc, no "rubber banding" or "lag."  It's just these "single missions" and "campaigns" that seem hinky.  WSBS also lagged like crazy, but I figured that was normal considering how many objects he put in the maps.  I turned down the graphics, and it smoothed out just fine.

is there something I'm missing?

Here's what I've done -
AG51's ATI "optimizer" within the config.ini file - did that at Animal's thought and behest, and yep.  It runs way nicer now.

nothing else, no updates to the drivers or anything.  Recently Windows 7 decided to "update" and ever since my laptop has been a bit slow at start, but other than that it's fine.  Basically any time I "open" something, I get a lag I didn't used to get.

here's what I do know

basically, with all the little SNAFU going on in the HSFX version, I loaded up SFTF and WSBS into my 4.12.2m unmodded version and they run like butter, no glitches or weird "pilot placement." Also, because of the lack of extras, it loads up to the main screen in about 25 seconds flat.  HSFXAG51 takes about 90 seconds or so.  I'd be fine with 4.12.2m unmodded to be honest, for my single-player experience, except the flight model is different a bit, the sounds are crap, and most importantly -
the SBD-3 Dauntless... I can't view through the dive bombing scope!  :angry3: 
Yeah, there goes Zeus_Cat's other awesome SBD missions then lol.  :BangHead:
whereas in the HSFX version? Yep.  I can see through the sight just fine lol cept it doesn't seem to put me in the proper planes.

so... yeah.  I'm completely lost, and I needs help. 

so did not plan on this being a dissertation... sorry about that guys.  I just want to be clear as to what's going on.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:13:44 PM by AG-51R_Badger »

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: "Badger's" Murphy's Law SNAFU
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Sounds like the game got corrupted.  The missions are easy enough to fix, if you zip them and attach it here, I'll do that today.

HSFX, and by extension , the AG51 standard pack, brings A WHOLE FREAKING BUNCH of stuff to the game, some of which are "Deal Breakers" for me:

TBD
TBF
Helldiver
F9F
Skyraider
Yorktown, Enterprise, Hornet {What's a Pacific game without Enterprise?  I mean....really)
Swordfish
the CVL's

it goes on...none of these are in the Soviet "Party approved" version...

It might be worth deleting your current AG51 version, copying the backup over, and re-patching when you have the time.

Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »

Sounds like the game got corrupted...
It might be worth deleting your current AG51 version, copying the backup over, and re-patching when you have the time.
:angry3: yeah... I was thinking that too.
:thumbsup: sounds good bud.

yeah, the good news is, the backup HSFX is fully updated too.   :grin: At least I think it is.  So, in theory, I has a backup that should be easy to do.

Beyond that, I still have the original missions in their expanded and zipped folders saved on my computer in my Images/IL2/Missions folder  :thumbsup:.  "P" for Plenty, and "backups for my backups."  Rule #1 of Murphy's Law lol  :grin:

...  :angry3: ... just means I gotta start removing, cleaning, defragging, and then copying... AGAIN lol  :angry3: :sad5: :tongue3:

but yeah, I'm with you.  Now with the HSFXAG-51 mods... I can't be without em.

You serious the original game didn't have the Enterprise?!?!  Umm... wow.  I can't believe they had a pair large enough to make a "Pacific Campaign" "flightsim" without her... although there are others out there as well... ever heard of "Damage Inc" ?  Yeah... the demo of that game (pulling 10+g's and boom-zooming to 700kts) is what brought me here to begin with... let alone "IL-2: Birds of Steel"  - talk about a sell-out...  :sad8:

oh well, brought me here right!  :thumbsup:  ... and the joys of freaking computers...  :angry3:  :undecided: :grin:

*update 1711PST*
yeah... I'm reinstalling to my C:\ again.  I ended up not having a saved compressed version of AG-51's game.  So... I had to redownload it, now I'm saving that lol.  Here's hoping I get it all updated properly.

*update 1746PST*
I was "smart" lol and somehow deleted the PM CobraJ gave me on a window-licking version of how to update everything lol.  Now I'm lost.  I got the HSFX7 back in my C-drive... now I have no idea what to update first, or which order lol  :tongue3:

I'm pretty sure I do these in this order:
HSFX 7.02 update
http://airgroup51.net/forum/index.php?topic=2563.0

AG-51_Standard_7_0_2_version_1 All-inclusive! +++
http://airgroup51.net/forum/index.php?topic=2578.0

then AG-51_Standard_7_0_2_version_1_Update_2
http://airgroup51.net/forum/index.php?topic=2618.0

I'm just trying to remember where to put the AG-51 stuff! lol  :tongue3:

*update1840PST*
yeah...
um...
no...

so, I updated my HSFX to the 7.02, followed to the letter as the forum states. Set up the updater.ini, and it happened again - "please insert original copy of IL-2:1946 DVD in your drive"

so, now I'm deleting, again and starting over...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:29:26 PM by AG-51R_Badger »

Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 04:55:32 AM »
Hey all, I just want to say thanks for all the help and support with my configuration/installation/etc etc etc SNAFUs  :grin:

luckily, I think I only have one left!  :undecided: :shocked:

umm... in my controls section, there isn't an option to open up bomb doors? kinda hard to enjoy a Turkey or Sonofababy2ndclass without those lol.

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:14:06 AM »
take a break, take your time, and we'll start over.

You've had it running, so we know it works...

Don't get frustrated...I promise not to host anything good until you're up and running

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
Bomb Doors are in Key Assignments. Default is a 1 number key I think across the top of letters. Whatever is set to "Power 10".

Make sure in conf.ini at the very bottom in [Mods] section it doesn't say BombBayDoors=0 this disables BombBayDoors.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:10:31 PM by AG-51_Cobraj »
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
Thanks Skipper, I found it  :thumbsup:

My conf.ini file doesn't have that disabler in the mods section, so in theory everything should be a-ok now.  I'm going to attach my conf.ini file to here, along with my users ones for whomever to browse and let me know if it's okay or not.  I've got them saved as backups now in my "IL2" pictures folder too.  Basically, worst case happens again, all I gotta do is unzip, install, update, and copy and replace  :thumbsup:

I've kinda gotten a handle on that now too  :grin: lol  but in theory, I'm all squared away now.  Animal helped me out quite a bit with how to switch JGSME mods, to be honest, didn't really understand that before.  Now I just switch 'em, and the game pretends to be stock, and the campaigns are smooth sailing now.  Between that, and my not understanding what the "please insert your original IL-2:1946 cd/dvd" meant... yeah  :sad5: I think this whole SNAFU was completely user-related.  :cheesy:

at least now, thanks to Skipper, I have my laptop "optimized" or whatsitcalled  :grin:

this is going to be my last post for a bit.  We are heading back to Havasu for the weekend off, it'll be fun, but zero reliable internet.  Everyone have a Happy Easter and I'll see y'all on Thursday! :icon_salut: :thumbsup:

Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
well.

good news - my harddrive is ordered.

it's not here yet though.  So, looks like the quickest I'll be able to fly is Tuesday  :sad5:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »
Looking forward to having you back Badger...rock on dude... :headbang:
People first.  Integrity always.

Badger

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 01:44:57 AM »
update  :grin:

Robert has my Hard-drive and is installing it.  I'll hopefully have it up and running tomorrow.   :thumbsup: I don't think I'll make flying tomorrow, but I should, should make Saturday  :grin:

other good news - Robert thinks he can make Tuesday nights.  Tomorrow while we're getting my laptop squared away I'll show him "the ropes" with here.  He has no stick, right now, but has a X52Pro on order  :grin:

Anvil

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »
Both good news! Hope to catch you in the skies soon!

Badger

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
well...

I'm back on my laptop!  :thumbsup:

I got everything downloaded and it all seems fine.  However, yeah... my framerate in-game even in my "stock 4.07m" version is wicked, wicked slow.  The game loads just fine, doesn't CTD either... then... LAG.  It's brutal.  I can't even get my mouse to move well, and the "stock" game doesn't even show the intro video well.  Super slow framerate.

:sad5:

SNAFU  :grin: SNAFU

*update*
yeah... right now, in my device manager, it's not even saying I have my ATI Radeon Graphics Card... it just says
"Standard VGA graphics adapter"

... looks like my system isn't done getting "updated" or having "drivers" installed?  Basically the computer doesn't know it has the graphics card installed I take it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:11:17 AM by AG-51R_Badger »

Jarhead2b

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Are all your drivers for graphics up to date?  If your using fraps to determine fps turn that off as well to see if it smooths out a bit.  I have a bang up system and on certain missions I get lag due to the sheer volume of aircraft involved.

Edited looks like youre checking those.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:13:04 AM by AG-51R_Jarhead »

Badger

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks Jarhead  :thumbsup:

yep.  It was the driver.  It wasn't even installed.  Luckily, I got buddies that were on Facebook and helped me out getting me the right thingy to install.

Scary part though... I was able to diagnose and troubleshoot it myself!  Yeah... I'm quite amazed at that. 

all's running smoothly now.  Time to bring back up my user files and conf.ini back to snuff and I'll be gtg...

for now lol  :grin:

Anvil

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
Good to hear! See ya up there soon enough!