Author Topic: "Badger's" Murphy's Law FUBAR *update LAPTOP GONE  (Read 10096 times)

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
Re: "Badger's" Murphy's Law FUBAR *update LAPTOP GONE
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »
I have explained it. But in a nutshell 8 or 6 cores does mean anything to you because computers speed is dictated by ghz. Nothing built or software out now utilizes mega multi-core CPU's. you don't want a 2.6ghz 8 core to game. You need a 3.5ghz quad at most. The i5 I quoted is perfect for you. Buy a box computer and you are wasting your money and getting half the performance.

I've built a hundred gaming machines in my life. Understanding what is needed and what is not is key. I have designed and or built 10 or machines in this squad too. I do know what I'm talking about and don't want to here you say, "I should have bought that one Cobraj".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:42:11 PM by AG-51_Cobraj »
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Badger

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 02:58:21 AM »
I thought that AMD was a 5.0 ghz per processor, not 2.6?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8324286&CatId=1946

I also totally understand that Il-2 runs a single core, so yeah.  Hence why I'm searching for the best ghz for buck  :thumbsup:
I've found some reviews too, namely I like this one:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170023-amd-vs-intel-the-ultimate-gaming-showdown-5ghz-fx-9590-vs-i7-4960x

since I have a bit better budget, I figured if I go intel, than an i7 wouldn't be a bad option.  From what I'm gathering though back here, is Robert, John, and Shawn are biased towards AMD.  My other computer buddy, Ian, is biased towards all Intel and nVidia.  However, luckily they all like nVidia no matter what.  And honestly, after what you and I went through together, I'm only going nVidia myself!  That and everyone here has one, so it'll be easy to "tune" for IL-2.

John and Robert said the 8-core 5ghz would be good so I could have multiple tabs open in my research (I've caught myself opening over 15 tabs at once  :sad:), all while listening to youtube, checking my pinterest (where the tabs come from), and working on a skin in Gimp lol  :cheesy:

good news too:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8037048&Sku=I69-4770K
The i7-4770K Processor, which some say runs better than the AMD-FX is right in the same price-point @ $319.00 after rebate.  Basically, at this point, I'm not scared to pay over $600 for a wicked good CPU and GPU, which in that, do I though?

or does your build, for how much less, still run everything how I want it  :grin: I'm so confused.  I feel like those guys that buy an old hotrod on ebay and take it into the shop and accidentially come out with a car they can't drive because they're scared of it, because of the paint, turbos, nitrous, and everything else.  I want a driver, a mean one, but reliable too.  No mistake.

and by that as a whole,

I've built a hundred gaming machines in my life. Understanding what is needed and what is not is key. I have designed and or built 10 or machines in this squad too. I do know what I'm talking about and don't want to here you say, "I should have bought that one Cobraj".

Fair enough Skipper  :icon_salut:  hence why I'm sharing what I'm finding bud.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:42:57 AM by AG-51R_Badger »

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
AMD and nVidia do not work together. They can be seen together and configured together but it won't work well.
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Badger

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »
AMD and nVidia do not work together. They can be seen together and configured together but it won't work well.

That's what I thought too, even before you told me that here, and back on TS.   :thumbsup:

Copy that  :icon_salut:

now, I've heard the comparable intel processor to the that AMD is the i7 - 4770k.  My budget has been increased.  Is that something I should look into, or is it honestly way too much for what I want to do?

beyond that,

Jarhead -

definitely count me in for October 4th, and November 1st  :thumbsup: Honestly, there's more I'd love to make, June 7th, Sept 6th, Dec 6th... but yeah.  Definitely count me in for those two for sure.  Here's hoping selfishly you're able to make it.  If yer already busy by then, that's awesome for ya, but dammnit murphy's law strikes again for me!  :grin:

nah, maybe I can make the one next month... maybe  :grin:

and another resource I was lead to, thought you'd enjoy too
http://www.warbirdrescue.com/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:16:27 PM by AG-51R_Badger »

Jarhead2b

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
Will definitely see what I can do, I'd love to give tours of the CV6 Enterprise Hanger...and help restore Picadilly Lilly II....and of course fly any of the navy birds too
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:08:50 AM by AG-51R_Jarhead »

Badger

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »
helping restore "Picadilly Lilly II" would be EPIC  :grin: