Author Topic: "Badger's" Murphy's Law FUBAR *update LAPTOP GONE  (Read 10097 times)

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
Re: "Badger's" Murphy's Law SNAFU
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
Did you install Windows from a recovery disk? From Toshiba?
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Badger

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 12:00:50 AM »
no  :cheesy: it was a Vista recovery disc that came with my laptop.  We installed a Windows 7 32bit Ultimate instead.

the good news - I'm flying!  :thumbsup: "GrumpyBadger" is in Hyperlobby, and everything seems to be working just fine now.  :grin:  The graphics card needed its driver, we did that, and got it all updated.  Then I went into the conf.ini file and replaced it with the one that I had saved on my google-drive.  Everything works great now.

now that's my next question - all my "settings."  My difficulty settings, my controls, joystick, etc.  That's all in that "user" folder correct?  I want to save that to my google-drive too, that way, when the worst happens lol, I'll have it all saved.  :grin:

funny thing though, after all this, I've gotten pretty proficient at getting everything squared away. 
FileZilla stuff from here
"Windows Firewall/Defender" settings
working the JGSME
installing TS and Hyperlobby
getting all my internet stuff back
GIMP
etc

bout the only thing that didn't go gravy in the long run, was getting my brushes I have saved on my CINC-Badger's laptop.  For some reason my google-drive didn't save those, it just shows these empty folders  :sad5: no worries though, I have a USB-stick thingy lol

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 12:18:21 AM »
yes, always save your User file and conf.ini file................. will save you heartache at a later date..................

Hoss

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 02:44:56 AM »
You should go to Toshiba and download the motherboard, and other drivers and sound drivers. Windows likely loaded default drivers which won't work as well and make it slower.
=Cobraj=

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Badger

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 02:42:18 AM »
Copy that CobraJ  :thumbsup: thanks Skipper!

I'll let Robert know and see if he did that yet or not  :grin:

Badger

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »
yeah... it's fucking FUBAR in a glitchy WTF sort of way.

not only is it causing my mouse and selection issues, but the game is super lagged now online on the Pusan dogfight mission.  FPS was 20... at lowest graphics settings.  Jarhead and I tried to fly, and it just wasn't happening.

now last night, we were flying that Hawaii one that I shared on the video I was flying solo.  That map, I was cruising at 70FPS with graphics 10x what I had to adjust them to for that Pusan map.  So I think it's more my system limits because of objects than anything.  "White Sun Blue Sky" definitely has issues every now and then, but I've never dipped below 40fps on it, but then again, that's a single player campaign.

I'm saving my conf.ini and user.ini here as an attachment.  "P" for Plenty so I have it.

but yeah.  My mouse and therefore "selection" is all screwey.  I was in FMB, trying to make a little dogfight map, just like Razor's, just the F9F and USS Boxer off Kaneohe.

when I went to type in the "description" ... trying to use "F" for "F9F Panther CarrierQuals" yeah... it opened up the "file" instead, like I had "alt" pressed or something.

anyone have any ideas?  I'm going to look into those system and motherboard drivers on Toshiba, definitely.  Wish me luck.  :grin:

If I can get this, it'll be good for everyone.  I'll make it 20 planes or something available.

Badger

Re: "Badger's" Murphy's Law FUBAR *update LAPTOP GONE
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
well,  :cheesy: my laptop is officially croaked now.

Honestly, that laptop has been a pain since the day I bought it 3 years ago.  Today, flying on the war-birds.com server, things got weird.  So I exited out, and tried flying a single-player campaign - "Through the Mist."  I was still having the issues with the "select left engine" would for some reason cause the right engine to start...  then I got the blue screen.   :angry3: :sad5:  After I re-booted it, and had to go through the start-up manually, the HDD and graphics cards were shot.

So yeah.  The laptop didn't make it.  I decided to see how well it would fly in real life.

I'm on my lady's laptop now.  It won't work IL2 at all, but I'll see if it'll work TeamSpeak so I can at least hang out with you guys.

good news -
GoogleDrive has my templates, my missions, my conf.ini, and user folder.  So once I get the desktop I'll be flying again shortly.

but right now, I can only reliably use GIMP for sure.  Like I said, I'll give TS a shot.

these FUBARs are getting old.  I put too much time in a crappy laptop already.  Like you said bud, what was going on with that thing wasn't SOP.  So I'm just going to wait until I can get that desktop ordered and built that Cobra and my buddies helped me design and build.  It has an 8 core processor, GTX770, and 16GB RAM with a 240GB SSD, on top of a 2TB standard.  All I gotta do is sell my truck, which I don't use anyway, and I'll have plenty of cash for the PC, and a nice little baja bug  :grin: I can work on.

word of caution - NEVER buy a Toshiba! lol their support site is crap, and no matter how good people are with computers, that thing would stump em.  Robert is one of the best, let alone Shawn and Andrew.

so I'm going to be OOC from flying for a bit.  Hopefully I'll get that desktop here and ready by the end of the month.  I want to try and make that DBS Coral Sea campaign still.

and the other good news, this laptop works GIMP alright.  I can still work on the templates and skins no problem. Heck, this one has all the custom brushes and stuff in it that was preventing me the last week from working on them in that crappy Toshiba POS.  I'll just need "guinea pigs" to fly my skins so I can see what they look like in-game to adjust things.

good news on that, A&APW has two guys that have been really supportive already, SloppyJoe of course, and another Maty12.  If any of you wouldn't mind trying out my skins too, that'd be great.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:16:50 PM by AG-51R_Badger »

Anvil

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »
Sad to hear Badger! Was looking forward to flying more with you. Hopefully you'll get that desktop build up&running soon, and there'll be no more trouble (heck, with a build like that there won't be trouble with any game for a while)! I was thinking of getting a similar build - do you mind if I ask how much you're gonna pay for it? Without peripherals, mine was clocking at around $1000.

Jarhead2b

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
Lets go work on airplanes badger!

Badger

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
dude, Jarhead, I'm so IN if I could.  Unfortunately CinC Badger has an interesting work schedule.  But dude, with enough notice.  You bet.

beyond that, if ya can ever make it out here, Mesa would be sweet too, we have the B-25 and B-17  :grin:.  but yeah, that's actually where I spend most my time.

here are the forums bud!
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/

beyond all that, the desktop will cost me about $1500, with screen, keyboard, etc.  Haven't ironed out the details on the GPU, but yeah.  I saw a GTX770 with 4GB cache for a bit extra, something like $300 vs $200.  So I'm debating using that one instead.  PM me your e-mail or hit me up on facebook with it and I'll send you my wishlist for the build.

it's via either newegg.com or tigerdirect.com
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:54:13 PM by AG-51R_Badger »

Anvil

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 11:49:27 PM »
The only 770 GPUs I've found are above $300, even the 2gb version that I am thinking of getting, since I'm planning on using at most 1920x1080 (and I hear more memory is useless for that)! I'd love to get the details! I'll PM you!

And yeah, screens are expensive. I'll probably use an old TV I've got here... low resolution, but hey, whatever!

Badger

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
sent you the e-mail Anvil  :thumbsup:

$309 4gb cache GTX 760 -my bad, it's a 760, not a 770-
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8466655&CatId=7387
  :grin:

my buddy John, who thinks it's hilarious I'm even remotely trying to learn about computers, found me an all-inclusive with OS, monitor, blu-ray/dvd-r drive, etc etc, all for about $1200.  All I've done since then is shop around, and "for a few $$ more, I can have this" type of upgrades.  I think my whole system will be about $1500. 

I'm actually really looking forward to this.  I can buy all my other goodies too, that I need to fly proper.  I'm going to get a dry erase board, that I'll tape the hayrake compass on and such.  Climb charts for SBDs, TBF/Ms, F9Fs, PBJs.  All the documents that are found right here, I'll have laminated and ready.  Little things like that, I can have squared away by the time my PC gets built and I'm ready to fly again.  I'm basically treating this like "ground school."  :thumbsup:

... and I want to cry!  :cheesy: :sad5: I found a beautiful drawing tablet... it will show the drawing on it, as well as the computer screen! Sucker would be amazing for skins... yeah.  OUCH. lol  :grin:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:53:17 PM by AG-51R_Badger »

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
What happened to the Newegg I setup for you. It had everything listed for $1300 wasn't it?

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card is $259. Which Razor has now.
I can do a design for $1000 too but you would have a little less. With your monitor in the price midrange Gamer is where we are at. Don't mix and match either!! The stuff I quoted you works well and works well together. It is not just pick what parts you want it has to be made to work with every component you want to use. Your friends answers are a little off. It takes awhile to research parts so make your choice of who's list to buy from wisely. I would hate to see you build a big paperweight.
=Cobraj=

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »
I told you about the all inclusive PC junk out there. And your listening to him again? Hmm...
=Cobraj=

Badger

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
I told you about the all inclusive PC junk out there. And your listening to him again? Hmm...

oh... this is one of those thingies?!?  Sorry Skipper.  I just trust John alot.  But what exactly is wrong with it then?

and Skipper - no worries bud, I have your build saved.   :thumbsup:  and I'm all for doing this research way before making the equivalent of a PC "trailer queen."

can you help explain why I should go with your i5 build and the GPU you selected?  Basically, that way I can also share that opinion with the others and such.

none of this is remotely written in stone yet.  And as of right now, the "budget" for the PC went up a bit.  $1500 or thereabouts, with room if there's a good reason.  Basically, I found a Baja Bug for sale, in the exact year range and condition I want, all for $800 engine included lol... so now there's plenty more budget space for the desktop!  :grin:  My truck I'm selling is worth $5,000 - $9,000ish depending on who you talk to lol.