Author Topic: Using TPOD and Mavricks Together  (Read 1462 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Using TPOD and Mavricks Together
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »
I recall us having a discussion about this very thing the other night. Watch the video. :thumbsup:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204440

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Re: Using TPOD and Mavricks Together
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »
I definitely need to refine my SOP with Mavs. Now it looks like when I lock target with sensor switch forward I should be able to keep the TPOD up as long as I uncage Mav sight first... Did I get that right?? 

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
That's the way I understood it. I haven't been able to try it yet though. If I get a chance this evening, I'll post my results.  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
I've been playing around with this a bit. His video and the steps he lists were a little vague on the exact steps he doing. Here's a step-by-step of how I've managed to get this to work:

Master Arm - ON

Left MFCD
- MENU
- STRS
- Select IRMV (Maverick) and make sure it's RDY

- Uncage
- Sensor Select Forward - to change from INS mode to IRMV mode on the Left MFCD.

Right MFCD
- MENU
- TPOD
- TDC - ON (underlined)
- STBY - OFF (not underlined)

Slew the TPOD cursor over the target with your TDC. The Maverick cursor should also follow

When you're in range, lock the Maverick on the target with your TDC Action button.

Fire the Maverick!

This will normally work if I do everything just right. The TPOD will stay on after I fire and I can slew to another target, lock it, and fire.

If I get something out of kilter though, like try to lock the Maverick while still out of range (about 7 miles or so), I lose the lock and I don't really know how to get it back. And if I do manage to get a lock back by pushing this and that, by that time I'm usually over or past the target and it's too late to fire.

But it's cool when it works!

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:37:58 AM »
Thank you for compiling this Fireball.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »
Trying to get back into the Harrier in order to be able to provide lasing for the Hornet GBUs and it is an uphill battle! :BangHead: but I think I am making progress. One of the keys is to know what the angle of bank limits are for being able to keep the target lased while orbiting. I haven't quite got that one figured out yet.