Author Topic: Recomendation Discord?  (Read 3981 times)

Jarhead2b

Recomendation Discord?
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
Anyone looked into this?  I remember CobraJ asking for TS donations reguarly, which this would solve. Its free and is the way of the future.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Recomendation Discord?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
I've never heard of it before. I assume that it is a communications utility?

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »
I've been hearing and seeing references to Discord quite a bit lately. I don't really know anything about it, but it is apparently the hot new thing in voice comms, and it's free. So yeah we might want to test it out.

Jarhead2b

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
I've been hearing and seeing references to Discord quite a bit lately. I don't really know anything about it, but it is apparently the hot new thing in voice comms, and it's free. So yeah we might want to test it out.

https://discord.gg/xVUP2w

You click the link, download the app to run just like TS.  It has voice comms, chat, free file browser all in one and looks way better than TS.  Best thing is its free and Cobra could save some moolah.  Anyone can create a free server.  You can download the app on your cell and stay in touch anywhere.  I was skeptic, but now I'm a believer. Its the future.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:17:25 PM by jarhead »

Apache600

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
I've been using Discord recently.  It's a pretty nice program to use.  Makes texting, chats, and voice all come together in a nice format.

Offline AG-51_MD44

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
I setup a server a while ago to play around on and it works pretty well..even a free app for your phone if you wanted. 

My Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, i7-3820@ 4.55GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070

Apache600

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
Very nice.  Send me an invite.  I'm Apache600 on there well.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »
We have about 8-9 paid  months worth on TS. Testing between now and then would be advised for those that are willing (then report). As we close down to the final hour we can make decisions from there of the way we want to handle  Web and TS type speaking options??????

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Kaydo

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »
So i have pretty much all the voips available on my comp.  Discord is very nice but does not have the file archive system that is in TS.  In other words, we would have to figure out how to move all the files you have in the TS browser to another forum if we did switch.  Not voting either way, just giving information. 

Jarhead2b

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 09:43:40 PM »
You realize you can use both??? Discord keeps people in touch better than any of the other Voice services.  You could use it as a chat room alone.  Just saying. Alot of squads use Discord to keep in touch as it keeps people more involved day to day, especially with the app.  The for any formal stuff they use TS as it has better audio quality.  Its a tool, use it as you see fit, it is taking over though. 

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
So i have pretty much all the voips available on my comp.  Discord is very nice but does not have the file archive system that is in TS.  In other words, we would have to figure out how to move all the files you have in the TS browser to another forum if we did switch.  Not voting either way, just giving information.
We already have another avenue in place with uploading-downloading through the FTP of our forum and website server. Those with permissions can use it at any time. However having the option to use TS to swap files does come in handy!!!

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Jarhead2b

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
We already have another avenue in place with uploading-downloading through the FTP of our forum and website server. Those with permissions can use it at any time. However having the option to use TS to swap files does come in handy!!!

Discord allows File Swap

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:50 AM »
Is the quality of voice or communications in general improved over TS? Is the cost involved (or absence of cost) the only reason for switching?

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Kaydo

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:22 AM »
i would say discord and ts are comparable in terms of voice coms.  you can transfer files via discord, but ts saves the files in each chat browser. 

Jarhead2b

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 02:39:39 AM »
I use discord as the way we communicate 95% of the time as it is the easiest way to communicate minus having everyones cell phone number.  You can call anyone via the app phone to phone, chat, voice, file browser, etc.