Author Topic: Case 3 Recovery  (Read 569 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Case 3 Recovery
« on: September 10, 2021, 03:12:20 PM »
I found a diagram for the Case 3 procedure. It's pretty much like what we're used to in the Hornet and Tomcat. Marshall starts at 21nm and 6,000 feet, 22 and 7, 23 and 8 etc, etc. The legs for the holding are 10nm long, which seems excessive to me but whatever.

Just like the Hornet, we will commence and make our approach at 250 kts, call "Platform" at 5,000'. Not sure what "Minute To Live" rule is but it sounds ominus!

We'll level off at 1,200' and 12nm out and call that "Gate". This means you've got to lose 4,800' in not less than 9nm at 250 kts. I'll be the first to admit that math is not one of my strengths but I will bet you that this maneuver will result in a fairly healthy rate of descent - and the faster you go, the higher the rate of descent will need to be if you're going to be at the gate within parameters.

The Final Approach Fix (FAF) is 5nm out at 1,200' and at that point we should have our gear down, flaps set to STOL (I would bet) and nozels set to 50 degrees.

At 2nm you should have 60 degrees of nozel.

"Hover Stop" is that term indicating that you are at a nozel angle of 82 degrees. The "SPOT__" most likely is the place on the deck Paddles wants you to land.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:28:55 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Case 3 Recovery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 07:53:28 PM »
 :thumbsup:

TY Sir
In the absence of orders, attack!

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 09:12:43 PM »
"Minute To Live" rule:

Means that your descent rate should not exceed your current altitude.  At 8,000 ft, you shouldn't exceed 8,000 fpm descent.  Not found in NATOPS but listed as a 'common rule'.
In the absence of orders, attack!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 09:17:02 PM »
Here is a mission I have been doodeling with for you to try your skills (and imagination) at Case 3 recoveries. Just plan on 21nm and 6,000 feet. Putting your bombs on target and hooking up with the tanker are just a bonus!  :thumbsup:

In the brief, there are some target coordinates that you can use to program your navigation system to allow you to drop some GBU's on the top of the little punkin heads of some unsuspecting folks at the Kasab airport. Try to pick some targets that are a fair distance away from each other. You WILL see this mission again!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:18:42 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Endo

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
Just downloaded this and will give it a go - thanks Razor!