Author Topic: Multiple Targets With JDAMs  (Read 1091 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Multiple Targets With JDAMs
« on: October 28, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »
In the past, we have been just designating a target and the releasing the JDAM and then moving the TGP retical over to a new target and designating it and letting go of another JDAM. There is another way and, as Animal said tonight, it involves undesignating the target, and redesignating it to get to another target close by, then designating it and rinse and repeate. I will study this stuff and try to present a check list for us to use. Watch this space!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:43:35 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
Re: Multipal Targets With JDAMs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:40:32 AM »
I did this last night on the PGv9 Map.  I had 4 38's and went tot he bunkers.  I wptdsg 6 and the FLIR slewed to it about 25 miles out.  I selected designate and at the "In Range" que, dropped the first JDAM, then undesignated and went to the next three.  All four solid hits on the bunkers

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
OK, I believe that we're talking about two different things here. First, as you are approaching the first target, let's say that row of bunkers at wpt 6, you can use "Wptdesig" to slew the TGP over that first target. You designate the first bunker and your JDAM is ready to hit it as soon as you're in range. You let it go when in range and then you can just slew the diamond over to another target, designate it and, assuming that you're still within drop parameters, you let the next one go. There is no need to undesignate anything. The problem with this technique it that if you have multiple targets in a fairly small area, you'll never get them all off before passing out of weapons drop parameters.

What I am talking about is a method of designating , let's say as many as eight targets as you are approaching from 30 or so miles out, each one of them and then once within drop prameters, letting them all go. Have look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dImQAAHYTAk

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
So, if we go back to the mission we flew last Saturday, Goose's "Deep Strike" mission, we could have used wypt designate to slew the TGP onto the first target, designated it, then UNdesignate the TGP, choose the next weapon station, wypt designate to being the TGP back over the target wypt again and slew it to the next target, designate it and now we are ready to drop both bombs on the two primary targets as soon as they come into range. If we had been carrying 4 GBU-38's on the inboard pylons instead of Mk-83's, we could have used the same technique to set up the secondary targets as well. You will notice that Cap is doing all of this slewing and designating and undesignating while the mission is in "Active Pause", which allows him to do all of this without moving towards the target at all. That is a very good training aid to help develop your muscle memory for all of the button presses necessary for this operation. LShft+Win+Pause is the toggle for that if you'd like to use that in a SP training mission.

Of course, this is all just to be able to utilize the TOO mode (Target Of Opportunity) instead of the PP Mode (Pre Planned), which would involve a whole bunch of typing in of coordinates assuming that the mission builder provided them to us in the brief.  :tongue3:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Multiple Targets With JDAMs
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Here is a video with the ‘mark point’ method...

https://youtu.be/wUoU5bAdabw
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 06:00:09 PM »
HOLY CRAP!! That is not at all what I was thinking you were referring to last night when we were talking about this!! I am very stoked to give this a shot or two before tomorrow evening. Thanks Animal  :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_TwoLate

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
  • Never late for dinner
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
Yes the A-10 uses markpoints for multiple targets in one pass also.
"We don't leave our brothers behind."

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 02:13:29 PM »
Take a look at this one. I believe that the use of Mark points is discribed a little better.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLy-8EKvJs
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 03:01:22 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Offline AG-51_Ranger

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 02:36:49 PM »
Cool...I didn't know the F18 had markpoints.  I use them all the time with mavericks in the A10C.
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3" - Paul Crickmore SR-71 pilot

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 06:20:10 PM »
 :thumbsup:
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 12:47:22 AM »
Here is the Caucus Training mission we flew tonight (Thursday, 10/29/20) with an air start added just by the tankers. You've got 4xGBU-31's and waypoint #2 is in the middle of the bunkers and tanks. If you want, after dropping these, drop down to Kobuletti and rearm with something else.  :thumbsup: