Author Topic: Just Cruising YouTube and....  (Read 1876 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Just Cruising YouTube and....
« on: October 08, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
I came across this. I was on this fire and remember it well. I went there to just administer a couple of currency check rides and just right after I got there, all Hell broke loose! The airport we were operating out of got burned over and part of the town of Lake Chelan was burned up as well. Some boring parts (changing out a blade) but it gives you a little glimpse into the daily life of a helicopter fire crew. We had two machines there and I'm surprised that the guy taking the video didn't show the two of them together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlbvKgp16hA

This is another real short clip of what I got to do for a living every once in a while  :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJjYQJhHkg

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Ranger

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Just Cruising YouTube and....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
That's very cool Razor.  The other day you were asking me about the Flight for Life we train with and here is the bird they fly Eurocopter AS 350 "AStar" B3.  Apparently it's good for high altitudes since we have something like 54 peaks above 14,000'

https://www.centura.org/our-network/flight-for-life/our-services
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3" - Paul Crickmore SR-71 pilot

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 07:17:19 PM »
That's a nice ride. I have about 1500 hrs in the D model that has the Lycoming engine. I loved flying it.  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »
Another fond menory just discovered on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTn3NRxK8tA

That's me in the right seat acting as my Chief Pilot's beeeyatch on the day we brought the "Sun Bird" into the Houston convention center's parking lot for the annual HAI's (Helicopter Association International) get together several years ago (like 10 years ago!!). A little while later, a Dallas cop came along and wrote me a ticket for illegally parking a helicopter in an "unauthorized helicopter parking zone". It was a big hit with the convention newspaper!  :Rofl

This machine was sold to the San Diego Gas and Electric company for the purpose of building a big powerline from out of the eastern desert known as the "Sunrise Power Link". Afterwards, we bought it back from them for half again more than what it was worth, thanks to an outstanding sales person of ours with tremendous business accumen known as "Scotty Bigwatch". Just one of many rusty nails driven into the Erickson pine box.  :sad5:

The only bright side of this debacle was the fact that this machine was the first of several Erickson Cranes to have a digital AFCS along with an upgraded avionics suite, including a glass cockpit and an NVG approved cockpit - which was never used after the FAA proving flight BTW. The downside is that our incredibally brillient management just recently sold it to the Italians, along with another one of our Glass cockpit F models.  :sad5: :sad5: :sad5:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:42:47 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »
That's awesome, Razor.  I don't have any videos to my name but I was listed on a wanted poster once, circa 1991 (sadly, I don't have pics of that) and I was featured in a book one of my former Platoon Leaders (later a Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Middle East Policy) wrote titled This Man's Army (https://www.amazon.com/This-Mans-Army-Frontlines-Terrorism/dp/1592400639).  That wasn't a sales pitch to buy the book, by the way. -  :Rofl :Rofl :Rofl :Rofl
In the absence of orders, attack!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 11:04:16 PM »
I would like to read that! I just might buy it anyway, despite your being featured in it.  :thumbsup:  :Rofl :Rofl :Rofl