Author Topic: Creating New Waypoint On The Fly  (Read 810 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Creating New Waypoint On The Fly
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:35:53 PM »
OK boys and girls, in this lesson, we're going to learn how to create a new waypoint while in flight. First thing to do is to bring up your Early Access Guide so you'll have a reference for what it is we'll be doing. Go to the drive that your DCS World OpenBeta lives in and look here: /DCS World OpenBeta/Mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Doc/DCS FA-18C Early Access Guide EN.pdf  Next, open it up to page 117 and look under MODIFYING A WAYPOINT. I will print it here:
*********************************************************************************************
In the course of a mission, you may find the need to modify an existing waypoint, the most common being an adjustment of the waypoint’s elevation to match the ground elevation. To do so, select the HSI / DATA / WYPT page and note the chain of waypoints listed at the bottom of the page that comprise the waypoints of the selected sequence. For example: 0-1-2-3-4-5-6

By pressing pushbutton 5, the UFC Option Select Windows display POSN (position), ELEV (elevation), GRID,  and  O/S  (off  set).  To  select  a  waypoint  to  modify,  use  the  up  (pushbutton  12)  and  down (pushbutton 13) arrows.

•POSN. By selecting Position, you may enter the Latitude and Longitude using the UFC keypad.

•ELEV. Once the Elevation option isselected, you can enter a new waypoint elevation in either feet or meters.

When complete, press the UFC ENT button.

***********************************************************************************************

So, what they are talking about here is, while in the cockpit, you would have your HSI up on one of your DDI's and you would select the DATA button, which is up on the top row of the HSI, on the far right. Button #10 I believe. Next you want to select WYPT, button #7 second one from the left on the top row. Now you will see all the data for each waypoint that is programed into your jet's navigation computer. Now select UFC,(button #5) the top button on the left side of the DDI. When you do this you will see a bunch of choices appear in the data entry windows for the UFC, the top one being POSN (Position), next is ELEV (elevation), GRID and O/S for Off Set. I don't think that these last two choices are even working yet. Anyway, all you're interested in are the top two.

Now you're going to have to choose a waypoint to modify. As a general rule, I would think that waypoint 0 would be the least useful to you, That is the place where the mission began with you sitting on the carrier deck. #1 might be a tanker track, which could be useful later on. Whatever, you decide which one you don't want to keep and select that one to modify. Select POSN on the UFC and you'll see that you can enter a normal 6 digit (DDMMSS) Latitude preceded by the N (kp 2) of course, and then press enter. You will see the Latitude of the waypoint you're modifying change to the one you just entered. Repete for the Longitude, preceded by E (kp 6) and hit enter. If you intend to use this waypoint as a TOO for a JDAM or JSOW, you'll want to be sure to enter an elevation as well. After modifying the waypoint, go back to the HSI display by selecting the upper right hand button labeled HSI (button #10). Now you have a perfectly useful waypoint with which to navigate to by choosing that waypoint with the up or down arrows on the right side of the DDI (buttons 12 or 13).

Not for nuthin but, this bit of information may come in handy to you at some point in some future mission.  :Popcorn:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Creating New Waypoint On The Fly
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:05:50 PM »

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »
I’ve got the adding, deleting and modifying waypoint down. Pretty simple and straightforward. Does anyone know if you can insert a waypoint, lets say between 4 and 5 and redistribute the remaing way points.  Example:  inserting a waypoint between 4 and 5 and the former 5 now becomes the 6th and so on.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 11:24:04 AM »
You would think that would be a very common practice that pilots would use. I don't know. I'll do some research this evening when I get home. There might be something in the Early Access Guide around the page 117 area.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:49:51 PM »
I found it in the manual. Ty Razor. Not quite what I thought but you can add WP 5 after 1 and before 2 and then select seq on the data page do that 5 comes after 1. No renumbering though.