Author Topic: Case I recovery  (Read 2234 times)

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Case I recovery
« on: June 18, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »
[EDIT]

Actually, before you read any of the stuff below (or even instead of reading it), I'd suggest you go watch this guy's YouTube videos. He's a former F/A-18 pilot who does a superb job of explaining the approach and the landing pattern and some other things in a simple, understandable manner. At the time I'm posting this he has three videos, hopefully he'll keep posting them. And also still watch Jabbers video I linked to further down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPqnAPcQSxyCqJ0CZu9qMmg

I wish I had found these videos earlier, it would have saved me a lot of writing.  :icon_biggrin:

==============================================================================

I told Razor I'd keep this post from being too wordy. I'm pretty sure I lied. In a carrier approach pattern there's just a lot that happens in a small space usually shared with several other aircraft.

This post will deal with a Case I approach, which is a normal daytime, good-visibility approach. Some of it is copy/pasted from an older post I made a few years back. All I know is what I read and how I was able to explain it to myself, so I certainly could have some things wrong. Hopefully, not all of it's wrong. So here goes...

For the actual pattern itself there are several good references with diagrams that if you read through them and put them all together in your mind, you should get a good idea of how the pattern works, so I'll just list some of those. For most of these, people have already posted links in various other threads on the forum:

- DCS Case I recovery video by Jabbers:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-M3VUy-_I

- Chuck's Guide:  http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

- F/A-18A/B/C/D NATOPS:  https://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-ABCD-000.pdf

- CV NATOPS:  http://navyair.com/CV_NATOPS_Manual.pdf

- CV PROCEDURES T
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:15:22 AM by AG-51_Fireball »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Case I recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
An AWESOME explanation Fireball! Thank you for that. It will be good to see us all using these procedures as we return to the boat. Going forward, our missions will involve air to air and more air to ground, which are the stock and trade of the Hornet community but none of it means shit if we can't get back to the boat in one piece. That is going to take a lot of time offline by all of us to get these habits down pat so that it is second nature to us. Some of you may remember back in the day, when we would launch from the San Jack, go out and kick some ass and then come home to roost with very little drama. Those were some of the most rewarding flights I've ever had in this squad. I am really looking forward to getting back to that level of proficiency and I know that it will not be nearly as easy as it was in Pacific Fighters and I will be trying to do my bit to bring up my proficiency. Lord knows I NEED it!!  :Rofl

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »
I thought the initial was 5 miles out.  I

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
Yeah, the departures we'll need to work on as well. I'm pretty sure that we are supposed to go out 5 miles at 500' along the BRC and then be on your way  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »
Well, I was going by what's in the CV NATOPS I posted above.

For the initial...

Departure from the port holding pattern for break entry shall be accomplished aft of the ship

Apache600

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »
I vote that instead of saying your tail number in call outs  ("105" in Fireball's example).   We just say our call sign.    No one know's, or cares, what the number is.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »
7nm it is. I agree with Apache. There is no logic or point to using the side numbers. It is more important for us to know who rather than which air frame is coming back.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:16:54 PM »
Sure, call signs will work fine instead of side numbers.

If we do end up using the Carrier Ops script (which we'll be testing soon :icon_smile:) you will have to be aware of what your side number is, because all the radio calls and text messages will use that number.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:17:23 PM by AG-51_Fireball »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
 :icon_biggrin: :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to that! And particularly when we get into Case 3. That was a hoot before and now that we have almost the real deal, it's going to be awesome!!

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:59 AM »
Very nice write up and I'm looking forward to this. 

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
At the beginning of the original post I put a link to a YouTube channel. The videos were done by a former F/A-18 pilot, and they are OUTSTANDING. The best part is he does his explaining on a sheet of notebook paper using what looks like a government issue ball-point pen.  :icon_biggrin:

These really ought to be required viewing for everyone in the squad before they're even allowed to enter the carrier approach pattern.  :icon_smile:

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
Those are awesome videos!! The first one in particular. I can't emphasize enough the importance of paying attention to our altitudes while in the Marshal stack or the pattern! I have noticed how easy it is to gain or lose several hundred feet in the blink of an eye!

I agree with you Fireball, these videos should be required watching!  :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 08:14:09 AM »
The CASE 1 Recovery video by Jabbers is extremely helpful.  About as details as you can get on understanding AOA.  Lots of good recommendation like practiceing at a base and then touch and goes on the ship before you even put the hook down.