Author Topic: Uh-1 Engine Update  (Read 659 times)

Offline AG-51_MD44

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Uh-1 Engine Update
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
First I heard of it but apparently there is an engine update incoming for the Huey.

http://www.twomoreweeks.net/insight-huey-engine-update/

"Bad approaches will lead to VRS. Repetitive hard maneuvers will just convince the rotor to divorce and live on his own. Overspeed will cause flight control trouble. Yet the community is asking for more suffering, and has been repeatedly asking for engine damage when overstressing the engine."

My Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, i7-3820@ 4.55GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070

Offline AG-51_MD44

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Uh-1 Engine Update
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/belsimtek/posts/799773733560460

"Soon our implementation of EGT limits for UH-1H will go live in open beta. It is our initial implementation, and as some of you can understand it's not that easy to find documentation which explicitly says about when and how engine should degrade or even catch fire in those conditions. At the same time absence of such documentation is not enough for us to say that something should not happen. We have also comments from our SME contacts (pilots) which we considered. We are in the limitations of the simulator and we need to approximate things, therefore we say that this feature is subject to change and open for debate.
Mind you though that we have engine experts of our own and we are not going to change something just because majority wants it, but only if we receive elaborated and adequately justified explanation supported with documentation, which we will review and take time to analyse.
What you should expect:
If you are over EGT safe limits for a considerable amount of time (we will provide in-game test numbers below), it will start a cumulative degradation effect which will depend on the time and EGT temperature in which you will be flying since that cumulative degradation effect started. cumulative degradation effect will cause permanent engine performance degradation and percentage of that degradation will depend again on temperature and time.
If you drop to safe numbers before cumulative degradation effect started, you will save normal engine performance.
If you drop to safe numbers after cumulative degradation effect started, it will stop its accumulation and you will return to degraded engine performance, but accumulated cumulative degradation effect will not go anywhere. And next time you go above limits, it will start to grow again and it will bring more performance degradation.
After cumulative degradation effect reaches its limit and if you still operate engine above limits it will cause even more engine performance degradation and can cause engine fire.
Here is approximate numbers from our in-game tests (just a couple examples):
EGT temperature on gauge 645:
166 seconds (from start of over limits operation) before performance degradation (RPM will drop by ~200 in 5-10 sec);
209 seconds (from start of over limits operation) before your engine can catch fire
EGT temperature on gauge 680:
83-88 seconds (from start of over limits operation) before performance degradation (RPM will drop by ~200 in 3-6 sec);
90-95 seconds (from start of over limits operation) before your engine can catch fire
Here is numbers from manual we obtained from our SME:
400 to 610

My Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, i7-3820@ 4.55GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Uh-1 Engine Update
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
I have never heard of an engine fire resulting from a pilot overtemping the engine in flight. It just would start to lose power, i.e. no longer be able to produce the torque that it could before the incident. But at least they are addressing the issue so that from now on, y'all had better keep an eye on that little, itty bitty T5 gage!!

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.