Author Topic: modding 4.13  (Read 3961 times)

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
modding 4.13
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
I can be done, but I don't think we'll ever get to the plethora (insert "Three Amigos" comment here) of items that we have in our current version.

To date, I have successfully added:

Philippines Map
the SB2C family
Yorktown class carriers
and...utilizing the new co-pilot features, the SNJ-4 (actually a hacked SBD, but both pits work)

If anyone is interested in playing with this version, You'll need the SaS modact file and it's patch here,

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,46614.msg518343.html#msg518343

then, I'll zip up my #SaS folder and you should be able to drop it in.

As in all shenanigans, do not use your regular install, create a backup for experimentation.

It would take Hoss or Fireball level ju-ju to make a JSGME package, that is beyond my current capabilities.

Still to go:

TBF
TBD
CVL's
SB2U
Japanese carriers
Swordfish
Fulmar
Eagle
Warspite
various battleships...
yada yada yada

But the P-40 is fixed!

VT-51_Snooch

Re: modding 4.13
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
Oh sweet!
Ted is making a plethora of pi

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »
"Do you eeben know what a plethora eees?"

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »
Oh ye of little faith, if you can mod you can build a jsgme........ Take one apart and see how it's structured, easy peasy....... If this knucklehead can do it any of you can.

Hoss

Happy 4th yall
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:12:01 PM by AG-51_Hoss »

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
Hoss!

The part I don't get, is what JSGME actually does...can you enlighten?

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
Snag...

I added the P-35, because, what's a Philippines map without the P-35...

And now I can't seem to save missions in the FMB.

Will google, but for now, working on regular missions for our regular install

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
If I understand correctly...JSGME temporarily swaps files within a designated directory.  For example: If a particular file, say abc.dll, needs to be modified and it is in the file directory, say DCS\somefolder\someotherfolder\abc.dll, and there is a JSGME Mod called abcmod, the modified file would be in the JSGME mods folder and would be in a folder structure that looks something like this abcmod\DCS\somefolder\someotherfolder\abc.dll.  So the directory structure for the original game file is just mimicked inside the folder with the mod name ie; abcmod folder.

So that particular iteration of JSGME would be set up to look in the DCS folders for any matching files in the appropriate folder directory structure when you activate a mod. It temporarily replaces the matching game file with the modified file and swaps them back when you deactivate the mod.

That is why mod activation order is sometimes important.  Sometimes after one mod is activated a second mod may replace files in the same directory or even the same file as the first mod did, so JSGME generates a warning that you may be tinkering with a file that has already been swapped and could be potentially removing or changing the first mod (sort of modifying a mod...potentially dangerous.) 

Let me know if this makes sense or if I am incorrect.  Also where JSGME is installed and at which File directory it is initially pointing affects the particulars of the file directory structure.  My example above is completely fabricated and a generalized representation.  If you look at one of your existing JSGME Mods, you can chase through the folders and see what files are being replaced when it is activated by comparing it to the game file directories for whatever game that iteration of JSGME is being used.
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Thanks Animal!  Will check it out

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:52:55 PM »
The folder structure is something you can figure out. The real bastard is say for example. Bla bla mod makes changes to air.ini, weapons.ini, and others. You can add to the ini files, they are txt files. ( Use Notepad++ ). Now each mod makes changes to other files and folders. The real hair puller is when a sfx file is part of a mod and you're not certain it is the same file already in the game or already in another mod. Then you have to get some tools to uncompress the sfx so you can compare files. This is when a compare program comes in handy. It will highlight line by line then you can add your new lines to the old file. Or you can what Hoss does and see if it still plays without crashing lol! Just kidding Hoss!

Most mods like added planes and ships are straight forward and considered easy. Try it. You'll learn by making mistakes.
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Ted

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »
yeah...I'm good at screwing things up...just ask any of my ex-wives