Author Topic: Recommended Reading  (Read 9991 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Recommended Reading
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
An awesome book for sure!  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Badger

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
I'd like to add another one I'm currently reading.  :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0760339759

"The Pacific War - The Strategy, Politics, and Players that Won the War" by William B. Hopkins  :cool:

this book is AMAZING.  It's a great overview of the war in the PTO.  He doesn't write it chronologically, but instead uses "For the sake of clarity, chronological order has been set aside in many cases in this book in favor of a region-by-region approach to events."  I gotta say, this man, a decorated WWII USMC 3div Veteran, walks a very fine line from "historian" to "anthropologist" in his objective, macro view.  Not only that, but through his approach, one can almost feel like a fly on the wall viewing the events taking place.  I'm only on Chapter 3, and I'm completely hooked.  I can't wait to see how everything comes together in the final chapters of this book.

Also, something AMAZING for research, in case this hasn't been brought up yet,
Admiral Chester Nimitz's "Gray Book" is now available for downloading. 
Description

The Command Summary of FADM Nimitz was compiled by the War Plans Section of the Pacific Command Headquarters in Hawaii during World War II. It contains daily estimates of the situation, command decisions, and running summaries of communications from December 7, 1941 to August 31, 1945. Naval War College Historian Douglas Smith avers that it is "the most authoritative source on the Pacific War available anywhere".

http://usnwc.edu/Academics/Library/Naval-Historical-Collection.aspx#items/show/849

yeah... it's awesome!  :grin:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
Yeah, that sounds pretty cool...will have to take a look at it. :grin:
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 04:32:09 AM »
Just finished "ACE" by Robert Bruce Porter and Eric M. Hammel. I got it on my iPad through ibooks. It's a very good read about an early war Marine aviator that flew in the Solomons and in MAG 21. I'll bet Rebsix has this on his book shelf.

Just starting to re-read a couple more Eric Hammel books while I am here enjoying my time in Istanbul, "Carrier Clash - The invasion of Guadalcanal and the Battle of the Eastern Solomons  August 1942"  and "Carrier Strike - The Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands  October 1942"  These are also available on ibooks although I also have them on my book shelf at home.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

MAG-21_Rebsix

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
Just finished "ACE" by Robert Bruce Porter and Eric M. Hammel. I got it on my iPad through ibooks. It's a very good read about an early war Marine aviator that flew in the Solomons and in MAG 21. I'll bet Rebsix has this on his book shelf.
:laughing7:  :laughing7: :laughing7:

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
That's awesome Rebsix!!

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 06:50:55 AM »
Just finished reading "Bombs Away"  by American author John Steinbeck. It was written in 1942.

Gave a OK overview of the training that bomber crews underwent, but it was totally propaganda pointed at recruiting "Air Force Bomber crews."  Multiple references indicating that it was the B-17's that won the battle of Coral Sea and Midway.  "If it weren't for the bombers, that Japanese fleet would be in California I believe was one of the quotes that I stomached through.

Definitely on my "Will Not Read Again" List and deleted from my Kindle

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy