Author Topic: AGM-65E2 Hot Tip  (Read 729 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
AGM-65E2 Hot Tip
« on: July 25, 2021, 11:52:42 AM »
Hey Ajax, I was messing around with the Harrier this morning in the PG training map, flying up around WPT 3, the Search and Destroy area, and found that I was getting a lock more consistantly by uncaging the seeker head BEFORE firing the laser. I have also formed the opinion that that freaking Sidearm is about freaking useless!!  :angry:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: AGM-65E2 Hot Tip
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 02:27:40 PM »
found that I was getting a lock more consistantly by uncaging the seeker head BEFORE firing the laser.

Interesting - I'll have to check that out.  Were you getting better that the 5.5 nm range?

I have also formed the opinion that that freaking Sidearm is about freaking useless!!  :angry:

:Rofl :Rofl :Rofl :Rofl - Is that because of range or warhead size (in your opinion)
In the absence of orders, attack!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: AGM-65E2 Hot Tip
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »
First off, the lock on by the E-2 seeker head seemed like it was happening around closer in, like around 3-4 miles.

Secondly, my opinion of the Sidearm is based on the apparent inconsistant ability to lock onto the Shilka outside of it's leathal 23mm gun range despite the fact that my RWR was screaming at me. I am willing to conceed a slight possibility of operator error on that point. Additionally, once I did get the damn thing to go off the rail and actually hit the Shilka, the damage it inflicted was less than 50% and did not prevent the Shilka from using its radar to direct its 4 23mm guns at me. I think that the Mavric would be a far more effective tool for killing thos bastards provided you knew where to look for them.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.