Author Topic: Laser Mavs  (Read 838 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Laser Mavs
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
I'm damnned if I can get the laser mavs to lock onto and track a moving target! I can get the little bugger locked up with the TPOD in the Point Track mode but when I sensor select over to the Mav page and uncage it, the seeker slews to the target and then is stuck in place on the ground as the tank drives away. For stationary targets, it's a piece of cake but, for the life of me, I can't seem to be able to get the Mav seeker to follow a moving target. No telephone/power poles involved here either! :BangHead:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:38:21 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
Re: Laser Mavs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 01:00:55 PM »
That is strange.  I never had a problem with that. I have not done it recently.  Is the X in the keyhole when launching?
Fight to fly.  Fly to fight.  Fight to win.

Offline AG-51_Ranger

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 01:17:40 PM »
Well....let's practice using them tonight and we can do some buddy lasing.  Looks like the Apache is going to drop before Christmas which will be handy for buddy lasing.
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3" - Paul Crickmore SR-71 pilot

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
Favorite weapon in dcs.  Maverick of any kind.  Sounds good.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
That is strange.  I never had a problem with that. I have not done it recently.  Is the X in the keyhole when launching?

Maybe you have identified the problem for me Bluto, because I have absolutely NO idea what it is you're asking me about!  :Rofl

EDIT: Upon re-reading my original post, I realize that I indicated that it was the LASER mav I am having the problem with. Truth is, I never even tried shooting the laser mav at the moving tanks. It's the IR mav that I was having the problem with. With either weapon, a stationary target is a piece of cake but getting that IR mav to lock onto a moving target in a hand-off from the TPOD is not happening for me.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
Lol.  I am attaching a pic with the keyhole illustration.  It's an f-16 tgp but the same concept. 

I flew last night with IR mavericks.  First time since the last couple of updates. For some reason all of sudden, the handoff from the TGP sucks.  Used to lock right up at 6 miles.  Now it's off.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 03:28:35 PM »
I just got out of the training mission we'll be flying tonight and finally did manage to get the IR seeker in the IR mav take the hand-off from the TGP and actually track the moving target! That was happening at around 5-6 miles. I'm not exactly sure what it was that I did correctly but I will give it another go before coming on tonight. I also found that the RAID/FOV switch I have programmed on my hOTAS was operating intermitantly, which was very irritating! Most likely an equipment issue or operator error rather than a software problem.

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
I just did a quick try and found that if I waypoint designated the pod, then slew and locked the target. the mav would not slave to the tpod.  If i slewed the tpod to the target without putting it there with waypoint designate function and locked it from just the pod it all worked as advertised.  2 runs and if I first set the pod with WPDES and then slewed to a target and point tracked him, i could not handoff the target to the mav.  Don't know if that is a bug or not.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:58:36 PM »
That would not surprise me in the least if it turns out to be a bug. In my testing, I was manually slewing the pod to the moving target and then locking it up in Point Track mode. I found that I needed to be fairly close to the target in order for the mav seeker to lock onto it after the hand off.

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 04:17:25 PM »
Well sounds like we have our issues figured out.  lol  The ones we can manage anyways.