Author Topic: Harrier vs. Tanker - Tips and Techniques  (Read 2636 times)

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Harrier vs. Tanker - Tips and Techniques
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Connecting to a tanker in the Harrier isn't particularly easy, with the probe being offset way off to the left like it is. I'm certainly no pro on it, so I thought this might be a good place for people to share whatever tips/tricks/info they use to get a little gas.

Everyone's references will be slightly different based on how far they're zoomed in, etc, but what I try to do is set up the sight picture shown in the attached picture. I basically am focusing just on the two points shown by the two red arrows. Horizontally I try to line up that upper left corner of the HUD glass with the middle bottom of the KC-130 refueling pod, and vertically I try to keep the two points about the distance apart you see there.

Once I have the two references points lined up, I start advancing VERY SLOWLY forward, focusing on the two points and not the basket. When the basket disappears out of my vision on the left, I still keep looking forward at my two points. Normally I don't ever look over at the probe during the whole process. Sometimes I'll get lucky and it will actually connect. More ofthen than not I'll miss and the basket will pass by the probe. As soon as I think I've gone beyond the basket, I'll try to stabilize my speed so I'm not moving forward or backward any more, while still trying to keep the reference points lined up right. When everything is set up and stabilized, I'll come off the throttle a tiny bit and start VERY SLOWLY (almost imperceptibly) backing up while keeping my sight picture, and sometimes I catch the basket on the way back. I try to anticipate that and be ready to goose the throttle a little if/when it connects to stop my backward motion. Repeat indefinitely until I connect or run out of gas. :icon_biggrin:  After I've connected, I move forward a bit to give myself some slack in the hose.

As Razor has said, once you do connect it's not too difficult to stay in position while the gas is transferring, although you can get out of sorts real quick and get disconnected if don't pay attention.

Also, you may have noticed a green light in the KC-130 refueling pod (the green arrow on the picture), right above where the hose comes out. While you're connected and getting gas, that light will normally be solid green. But if you creep up too close to the tanker, or if you get too far back, the green light will go out. I think fuel is still flowing, but you need to move forward or backward to get it back in the green. Once the transfer is complete, the green light will start flashing. Also, it may flash while you're trying to connect, I don't remember.

And for the S-3B Viking I do the same thing.

So...I'm sure that's not they way they teach it in Harrier school, but it's the way I do it for now. Any other ideas are welcome!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:48:11 PM by AG-51_Fireball »

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Harrier vs. Tanker - Tips and Techniques
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Nice. Thank you Fireball

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:10:52 PM »
Sounds like a good place to start...

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »
Awesome tips Fireball, thanks. Like you say, it will vary with each person's individual zoom. I will try to duplicate the sight picture that you have here and see if I can't get the same results. It's a place to start anyway. What I want to know is, why are your MFD's blank???

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
What I want to know is, why are your MFD's blank???

Oh...I forgot about that. :)

I play on a gaming laptop, with a separate 27" monitor attached. Over the holidays I dug out my Thrustmaster MFDs that have been in the closet for several years. I attached the MFDs to the edges of the laptop screen and have the in-game MFD data exported to that screen, like you see in the picture.

You can do the same thing with a second monitor if you're using a regular desktop PC, or like I think Apache and Kaydo are doing, you can export each MFD to a separate small monitor.

When you export them like that to another monitor, you can have the MFD data displayed both in the game cockpit MFDs and the exported MFDs, or you can just have them displayed in the exported MFDs. You just comment out a line in one of the game lua files. Turning off the in-game MFDs supposedly helps the frame rate a bit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:53:57 PM by AG-51_Fireball »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:49:13 PM »
I LIKE IT!!!  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
hELL OF A SET UP!!

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 03:41:55 PM »
 :thumbsup: hmmm...looks familiar. :glasses3:
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
How do you get the displays to show up under the TM MFD's? And how about their size? Is that automaticly the right size to fit inside the TM MFD bezels?

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
Razor...it takes trial and error to match the size and position to your screen size and resolution as well as the placement of your mfd

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 12:41:16 AM »
 :thumbsup: thanks Bud  :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Kaydo

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 01:54:10 AM »
think mine are set either 500 X 500 or 510 x 510 pixels.  It is trial and error to get them lined up.

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:37:56 PM »
Here is my .lua file used to activate the screen exports.  This is based on my NVIDIA card set up in surround with my main monitor on top and second monitor below it, both at 1920x1080, for a combined resolution of 1920x2160.  The file is located here: ...\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Config\MonitorSetup  In this folder, which allows you to see this file name as an option in the drop down menu for 'Monitors' on the 'System' setup screen in DCS.  Also the screen resolution in the 'System' setup screen is set to 1920x2160 in my case with the corresponding sapect ratio.

Sorry if this is not very clear.  If you want to try this let me know and I can help you set it up.