Author Topic: Air to Air Refueling  (Read 1554 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Air to Air Refueling
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
Here are my thoughts on this matter so far: HOLY CRAP!!!  :icon_biggrin:  I set up an IL-78 up at 25K, where we used to plug in a lot with the Hornets. 350Kts was the airspeed chosen and that wound up being 270ish indicated. I couldn't get the tanker to answer me at first (251.00MHz), which was supposed to be the #1 preset in the #1 radio. It was actually 133.00MHz. So I went back into the ME and set both radio preset channel #1's to 251 and restarted the mission. I also made sure to have the volumes for both radios up all the way, not that that was the problem because even if you can't hear the response, it would be typed up on my screen. Anyway, I got good comms with the guy this time and was able to plug in on about the third stab. 2 Things: 1st, the whole key to getting plugged in is to develop a sight picture for where that basket should be in your peripheral vision for a good hookup. We saw this in Jabber's video. I tried his method and I don't think it helped me much and, truth be told, I probably got lucky on this first try. Practice, practice, and more practice is the key, just like before in the Hornet. 2nd, and y'all are going to love this one, I found the Harrier to be just as smooth as silk staying in position while taking fuel  :thumbsup:  I mean.....it was like butter!  :Rofl  She is not the slightest bit twitchy or difficult to keep on station like the Mirage. The hardest part by far, is getting plugged in. After that it's a piece of pie!...er cake!

I have both my X and Y curves set to 10.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

VT-51_Snooch

Re: Air to Air Refueling
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
Oh boy, cant wait..... :toothy3:
Would you say, easier than the Mirage to refuel?
Because that would truly be a blessing!! :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Snooch, I would have to say that the Harrier is WAY easier to refuel than the Mirage. Getting plugged into the basket is the only thing. After that, it is smooth as silk!  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
After trying it again, I can say that the actual indicated airspeed is about 241 kts. and I was absolutely unable to plug in after about 20 minutes behind the tanker  :sad5:  Very frustrating! The god news is, it is still smooth as buttah and I am only a basket's width off one way or the other. Once I get the view figured out, I have no doubt that this will be fairly easy.

The next issue I am trying to figure out is, what to do with the nozzle lever during the approach. At what point should they be rotated to what degree? I am looking through various sources but haven't seen anything yet.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »
I haven't gotten past start up yet.   Found this last night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7qUDBN3yY

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
Yeah, that is the video I was referring to up on my first post. I guess it's not Jabbers. MD44 posted this somewhere else in here. This guy is pretty good! He says that the Harrier is harder than the Mirage! Maybe that one has gotten an update to it's FM because I find it nearly impossible!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »
Here is the mission that I am playing with. It is extremely simple. There are some enemy vehicles in it but I have not yet fleshed things out. Right now I am just using it to practice taking off and landing from the Tarawa and the airfield at Sukhumi. The tanker is over the Tarawa TF at 25K. There is no weather to speak of and no wind. I have not loaded the planes with anything other than fuel.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
Changed out the IL-78 for a Viking and managed to get plugged in. I have found that the sight picture that Maverick pointed out in his refueling video does not apply to you or me unless we have exactly the same degree of zoom and our seat in the cockpit is adjusted the same as his AND we are sitting in the same position relative to our Track IR as he was when he made the video. It is close enough though and like I said before, it's just going to take a great deal of practice and repetition to get that particular sight picture for you memorized. I can remember being this frustrated back when we were trying to get the Hornet plugged in and I really think that the Harrier flies much smoother and more like it has some mass in the air than the modded Hornet we were flying.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:52:20 PM »
Another outstanding video by Maverick. I really like the way this guy explains what it is he is doing!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197346