Author Topic: Sad  (Read 2707 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Sad
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:46:25 AM »

This is from Naval Institute Proceedings.  Lehman was an A-6 B/N pilot.

----------------------------------

Is Naval Aviation Culture Dead?
By John Lehman

The swaggering-flyer mystique forged over the past century has been stymied in
recent years by political correctness.   

We celebrate the 100th anniversary of U.S. naval aviation this year, but the culture that has become legend was born in controversy, with battleship admirals and Marine generals seeing little use for airplanes. Even after naval aviators proved their worth in World War I, naval aviation faced constant conflict within the Navy and Marine Corps, from the War Department, and from skeptics in Congress. Throughout the interwar period, its culture was forged largely unnoted by the public.

It first burst into the American consciousness 69 years ago when a few carrier aviators changed the course of history at the World War II Battle of Midway. For the next three years the world was fascinated by these glamorous young men who, along with the Leathernecks, dominated the newsreels of the war in the Pacific. Most were sophisticated and articulate graduates of the Naval Academy and the Ivy League, and as such they were much favored for Path

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Re: Sad
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:25:31 AM »
Excellent read!!! A lot of conversation starter present in this article...

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:33 AM »
The whole idea of a "Moral Compass" has been replaced by political correctness.

Doing the right thing when nobody's looking was my upbringing in the Navy.  Today it's "God help you if you do anything."

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
I'd love to hear what My Dad would have had to say after reading this.  :sad5:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:09:17 AM »
The whole idea of a "Moral Compass" has been replaced by political correctness.

Doing the right thing when nobody's looking was my upbringing in the Navy.  Today it's "God help you if you do anything."
Great analogy!! Tittle of new book.. "Creating the Worthless America - Through Political Correctness"..

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
True for all branches.

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
I remember when alcohol became taboo................. you could be on base at the bowling alley and someone that had been drinking dropped their ball on your foot, it's was an alcohol related incident you could be disciplined for.  Sounds insane, but it happened to a shipmate of mine...................

I knew by 1997 when I retired it was high time to be out and safe from the PC attitudes that were becoming the norm.  And I had pretty much quit drinking by then.  I remember Division parties in the PI were very WET occasions, and a blast.  We helo'd a man off of a freighter one cruise, he had his pelvis almost crushed by a very heavy hatch.  Turns out the Freighter shipped us a semi truck load of Heineken beer and had it waiting in Subic on our return to port.  we tried to drink or way through a bunch of it.  Since I'm around the Navy everyday working on base I still hear the kids talking about things that would of been insane during my 20 years.  Most things are foggy memories now, so I can wax nostalgically about how grand it was.   :thumbsup:

Cheers

Hoss
AT1 (AW/SW) USN ret.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:52:05 PM by AG-51_Hoss »

Jarhead2b

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
Its definitely not dead,my liver four days post Rio port call is a testament to the alchol and shenanigans are still alive and well.  I managed to throwup in a beer bottle, we're just a little more closed doors no when we let loose.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
That's good to hear Jarhead. Looking forward to your coming home soon. We need some help with Case 3 recoveries and dancing with the basket!!Take care of yourself.