Author Topic: Great WWII Experience  (Read 1559 times)

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
Great WWII Experience
« on: February 22, 2022, 12:01:33 PM »
I have been spending a bit of time in the Mustang and Jug lately on the off nights.  Both are very fun to fly.  Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.  impossible to not have fun in either.

At the suggestion of a member here, Hoss, I picked up the Wolfpack campaign for the P-47.  What I can tell you is that if you ever wanted to know what it was like to get into a hulking airplane, form up with massive, and I mean massive numbers of fighters and bombers, head across the Channel to go kill Nazis while totally immersed in the sounds and sights of the time...You gotta try this campaign out. A very unique experience available in DCS.  I am posting some screenshots and a link to the Campaign.  It is $9.99 full price I think.  The pictures do not do justice to the experience, especially if in VR and you are actually sitting right in the middle of the chaos.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hoss.  I fully recommend this if it's your kind of thing.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/p-47d_wolfpack_campaign/

Fight to fly.  Fly to fight.  Fight to win.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Great WWII Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 03:55:11 PM »
It looks like it would be fun! I have never once purchased a campaign for DCS since single player is not what turns me on about this hobby but if I ever get around to it, this is probably where I'd go - a WWII campaign.  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 05:15:37 PM »
Blue-nosed Bastards of Bodney (352nd P-51 campaign) is very good too.  I really love that damned Jug in this game, much more like what I imagine the real plane could have felt like. 

Hoss
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 05:16:09 PM by AG-51_Hoss »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 05:44:01 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the Corsair and Essex class boat!

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »
Just remember the timeline between the Cat and the Forestfire release.  I suspect the releases will be months apart

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 12:02:02 PM »
I think you're being a bit too pessimistic on this one Sabot. I am betting that the Hawg will drop while sitting on the wooden planks of the carrier's flight deck. The Tomcat had a carrier to fly from already so HB felt little pressure to provide a platform for it to operate from. I am hopeful that it will be different in the case of the Corsair.

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 01:10:47 PM »
I think you're being a bit too pessimistic on this one Sabot. I am betting that the Hawg will drop while sitting on the wooden planks of the carrier's flight deck. The Tomcat had a carrier to fly from already so HB felt little pressure to provide a platform for it to operate from. I am hopeful that it will be different in the case of the Corsair.

My hopes as well, as I learn this Double Wasp radial on the Jug.
Fight to fly.  Fly to fight.  Fight to win.