Author Topic: Calling All Geeks! MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY!  (Read 2982 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Calling All Geeks! MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY!
« on: January 13, 2022, 03:45:01 PM »
Lately, my gamer has been crapping out on me while in game. Never when in the Mission Editor, only when in a game, either single player or multiplayer. Never when online cruising my favorite por......er aviation websites! Up until now, I have just assumed that this is being caused by temperature problems but then it ocurred to me, if the computer was really shutting down as a result of an overtemp, why the heck would it then immediately start up again of its own accord?? What happens is, the box just shuts off, fans, lights and all, then starts right back up again and loads windows and eventually winds up at one of those beautiful pictures waiting for me to left click on it and put my password in to get back to the decktop. The time between shut down and start up is less than a 2 count. Do any of y'all out there have any good trouble shooting ideas?

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Calling All Geeks! MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 04:52:50 PM »
Razor - are you doing any overclocking?  it doesn't sounds like an over temp because it isn't supposed to just come back on.

It sounds more like the motherboard forcing a restart which can happen if you're overclocking and the processor doesn't keep up.
In the absence of orders, attack!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 05:52:42 PM »
I'm not savy enough to even think about overclocking my computer, GPU, CPU or memory.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bluto

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 05:54:18 PM »
How old is it Razor?  Also, did this start before your new win wing panels or after.  I'm thinking either Motherboard or power supply.  How many USB's are plugged directly into your Computer?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:58:27 PM by AG-51_Bluto »
Fight to fly.  Fly to fight.  Fight to win.

Offline AG-51_Ranger

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 06:20:12 PM »
 Did you check the Fetzer valve?
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3" - Paul Crickmore SR-71 pilot

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 06:35:28 PM »
How old is it Razor?  Also, did this start before your new win wing panels or after.  I'm thinking either Motherboard or power supply.  How many USB's are plugged directly into your Computer?

Power supply?  Good call and would definitely explain the trip and immediate restart.

Pretty sure the winwings are plugged into a powered USB hub which wouldn't be drawing off the PSU.

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 06:38:20 PM »
Did you check the Fetzer valve?

Very funny, Gordon Liddy.

Offline AG-51_Ranger

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 06:52:30 PM »
Very funny, Gordon Liddy.

But seriously, the power supply is probably the problem and would be the cheapest solution.  You may also need some 30 weight ball bearings too!
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3" - Paul Crickmore SR-71 pilot

FlyGuyF119

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
Definitely sounds power supplish

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
This has been going on very intermittently for quite some time but over the last couple of months, it has been happening more and more often. I have a powered USB plugged into one slot and my TrackIr and headphones into another two. I will go down and get another PS tomorrow to see if that is the culprit. Thanks fellas, always suspected you were a bunch of geeks!!  :Rofl

Offline AG-51_Lahsoldier

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 IP and Smart Dude
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 08:10:20 PM »
If not then you will need to check your ram cards and go from there.  Your basically getting a BSOD without the blue screen.  I will agree with the others that power supply is probably your main issue specially if its more than 4-5 years old since you put on in. You can actually check what its putting out on the board but that also might be a geeks job.
Best laid plans of mice and men are in vain if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
Agree with the POWER SUPPLY and possibly RAM. If you haven’t done so in a while get some compressed air and blow out the dust and reseat the RAM while your in there. 

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 01:12:36 PM »
Will do. Thanks Thud.

Offline AG-51_Ranger

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »
While you are in there make sure everything is still plugged in right.  I've had problems with RAM, GPU and M.2 components not seated correctly, so bad that my computer wouldn't even boot into the bios.   :angry:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 02:56:34 PM »
My vote is for power supply.  What size/type is yours now? 
People first.  Integrity always.