Author Topic: MIDS  (Read 1023 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
MIDS
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:37:57 PM »
I can't find much, if any, documentation regarding the implimentation of MIDS in our DCS Hornets. Charley Owl has a gread little discussion about what it is but no information about how to use it. The ED document doesn't even mention it. My question is, when we program a channel for the MIDS, do we put a freq in or a channel # in? Also, how do I control the volume for the 2 MIDS radios? I'd like to spend some time with someone that understands this stuff on Tuesday night.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Ajax

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: MIDS
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
You'll program a 'channel' for the VOC/A and VOC/B.  You don't have to use both but it gives you more options.  They are considered channels since they are using the freq hoping method with the secure comms of the Link16 radio.  Only Channels 1-126 will work which is why it shows 'off' with the defaulted 127.  In reality, the 127 does have a meaning though it is escaping me.

The volume can be controlled by the volume buttons on the left panel (by your elbow).  I don't recall the exact name of the knob but it should be identifiable by, like, MIDS A or something similar. 
In the absence of orders, attack!

Offline AG-51_Lahsoldier

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 IP and Smart Dude
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
What Ajax said.   As long as you and someone else/ wing, group whatever are on the same channel you should be able to Talk to them like a normal radio.  Check the F18 docs in the dcs folder mods/ aircraft/ f18/ docs (or something like that) and you should find the most up to date F18 manual.  Do a search for mids and it should bring you to the page where it talks about it. 
Best laid plans of mice and men are in vain if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
...... Check the F18 docs in the dcs folder mods/ aircraft/ f18/ docs (or something like that) and you should find the most up to date F18 manual.  Do a search for mids and it should bring you to the page where it talks about it.

I did and there wasn't anything I could find regarding the use of the MIDS as a communications system. I have assigned a  keyboard key for MIDS A and B and changed my set up to have just a single Xmit button on the stick. I get a light on each of the radios after I have selected them and then press the xmit button, so I should be good to go.

One last question - can the MIDS be used to recieve standard VHF or UHF radio calls from another unit that is using a regular VHF or UHF radio? I don't think so but just wondering.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Lahsoldier

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 IP and Smart Dude
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »
I found some on page 238-239.   "Pressing the option select button for either VOCA or VOCB allows the player to enter the MIDS voice channel for MIDS A and MIDS B. Upon selection, the keypad can be used to enter a channel number between 1 and 126. The entered channel is displayed in the scratch pad and the ENT button is used enable the set channel to the selected MIDS voice channel select. Selecting 127 turns off VOCA and VOCB.

MIDS Secure Voice
In addition to the ARC-210 radio COMM1 and COMM2, MIDS provides two additional, secure radio transceivers: MIDS A (forward) and MIDS B (aft).
Volume level of MIDS A and MIDS B is controlled by the volume knobs on the volume panel on the left console. Note that the CRYPTO switch should always be in the NORM position. If set momentarily to HOLD or ZERO, it will erase the secure radio settings for MIDS A and MIDS B.
This function will be coming later in early access."

On your question, I don't think so as this is Link 16 transmission and not VHF/UHF.  So more like a digital phone than a radio I guess. 
Best laid plans of mice and men are in vain if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 06:06:47 PM »
Thanks Soldier. My search stopped at the communications section :BangHead:

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
Making a habit of that are your?  1st it's SAM sites, now this...can't wait to see what's happens next :toothy11:

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy