Author Topic: VFA-113 Training Video  (Read 1676 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
VFA-113 Training Video
« on: February 07, 2020, 12:48:08 PM »
There is an excellent training video on their home page here: http://www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/http:/www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/index.html  Go down to the 4th video titled "Pilot Training Course". There are some very good concepts in there we should think seriously about adopting but you all need to watch it first before we can begin discussing it. Please take 15 minutes or so to watch this.  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
Re: VFA-113 Training Video
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:52:45 PM »
4th video down is the LSO School.  Is that the one your referencing?

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:21 PM »
I'm sorry Sabot, but I have no idea what you're talking about. The first video on this page is titled "Danger In Dubai", the second video is titled "The Stingers Combat Movie, Episode I 'Apocalypse Goat', the third video is called
"Stingers Plat Cam 100" and the 4th video is titled, wait for it......."Pilot Training Course". This 4th video is the one I am referring to. Please take 15 minutes out of your day and watch it.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:24 PM »
I watched before I left for work. Cool stuff for sure and I would do my best, just not sure if I could keep up with ya’ll.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 12:01:04 AM »
It appears that, according to the VFA-113 Stingers, the rendezvous is accomplished in the Stack at 2, 3, 4, or 5000 feet. This might be a bit easier, if not more efficient, to accomplish. What are you thoughts?

Does anybody have any questions about tanking? I'd like to explore the use of the KC-130 in future training flights. I wonder about the lower airspeeds for tanking - 250 kts (at a much lower altitude) vs. 300 kts.

The section about Recovery is very well done!!  :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
I recommend adopting every aspect of the video into our SOP’s because;

1.  We can refer to this nifty video for training without having to say things like: “Do it like in the video except for this thing and that other down yonder thing...blah blah blah.”

2.  The Stingers have been doing this quite successfully and with a high level of realism for quite some time now.  Why not let them figure out the best ways to do things and save ourselves the pain.  Much of our existing boat work techniques were adopted from their training materials.

3.  Using similar TTP’s (Training, Tactics and Procedures) might facilitate some Squadron combined missions with them if people like.

4.  The Stingers also have some nice training materials that I believe they don’t mind people using since they are all laid out nicely on their public website.

If we adopt their TTP’s, everything is already laid out.  Mystery solved and we can refer to the established material for any questions that come up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:27:01 PM by AG-51_Animal »
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »
I put the KC-130 into our Airgroup 51 Workups mission and set it's speed to 250 kts (336 KTAS at 15000') and gave it a try. I must say that I didn't find it any easier or harder than usual. :BangHead:

I agree 100% with Animal's sentiments  :thumbsup:  I'd very much like to hear from some of the rest of you out there.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
I like the KC-130 much much more than the KC-135.  :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Lahsoldier

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 IP and Smart Dude
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 06:55:55 PM »
I agree.  It will take some training to do it right but if we start on it a step at a time then go from there I think it will be much easier to form up and such.  Really all it take is everyone using the same page of music and following it.   If this is our page then let make some noise !
Best laid plans of mice and men are in vain if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »
If you'll recall from the video, the altitudes go from 300' for the Helos, 500' for Departures, 600' for the Landing pattern, 800' for the Break, 1200' for the Spin, and then 2000' for Showtime, 3000' for Hammer, 4000' for Vicious and 5000' for Shakedown. If your lead or the Air Boss or whomever tells you to rendezvous at Hammer, is that sufficient for your instructions? You would go straight out at 500' and 300 kts until 7nm from the boat. Then start a climbing left turn to the recipricol of the BRC, leveling off at 3000' and decelerating to 250 kts. Just for everybody's SA, it might not be a bad idea for you to announce that you are, "Hammer at point 3" once you pass abeam the boat and begin your turn to the left. I have practiced this a couple of times today and found that with the ATC, BARALT engaged at 250 and rolled into a 30 degree bank, it brings me right around to the starboard side of the boat with the nose crossing through the BRC. I was about 4nm abeam the ship at point 3. So, when #2 comes along and hits point 3, he would call out, "Sparky at Hammer point 3" and should be looking for lead out in front to the left. As soon as he has him in sight, cut the circle and effect a join up.

Assuming we have multiple flights to launch (Yeah, as IF!!), my suggestion would be for the first flight off to go to the higher stack. i.e. if there are 3 flights, the first one would go to Vicious, the second would go to Hammer and the last one off would go to Showtime. For some reason, this just seems the best way to deconflict us when departing the stack to wherever we're headed. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:10:01 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Offline AG-51_Sparky

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 01:34:15 AM »
I like the sound of this. Let’s try to implement it.