Author Topic: Weekend Update  (Read 1863 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Weekend Update
« on: August 16, 2019, 11:40:38 AM »
I think I just soiled myself!!

"DCS: Supercarrier Update
Since our last update on this eagerly awaited module, our team has been focused on several core features of simulation of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier:

Creating the most accurate and detailed carrier model ever created for a flight simulation. This is not simply an update to the existing John C. Stennis aircraft carrier that we released last year, but rather a new object that is built from the ground up with accurate dimensions, high-resolution mesh and textures; animations for the elevators, antennas, defense systems, launch officer bubble, risers, catapults, jet blast deflectors, and more. The module will include unique skins for all ships of the Roosevelt sub-class that includes the Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), George Washington (CVN73), John C. Stennis (CVN-74), and the Harry S. Truman (CVN-75). Not only will there be the correct names and CVN numbers, but we also plan unique textures and deck weathering for each ship!

The Supercarrier will include the most accurate simulation of carrier communications you have ever heard in a game. This includes Case I, II, and III operations and unique voice overs for departure, marshal, approach, tower, the landing signal officer (LSO), and even messages over the 5 MC. Many of these parts are voiced by service members that filled the actual roles! We will also include the needed voice over files to support all aircraft types that have flown from a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, including the F-14.

To make the carrier deck feel alive, deck crew is a must. We are doing this through a combination of static-placed deck crew with animations that mission creators can place and fully pathed and animated deck crew that support launch operations from all four catapults. We are pushing this feature past anything that has been done before.

In addition to these three core areas, we are also working on / planning:
Up to 18 spawning locations on the carrier deck.
Flood lights in addition to standard lighting.
Long Range Laser Lineup System.
Barricade net.
Deck equipment like the crane, fire truck, and mules.
Detailed Landing Signal Officer (LSO) station with functional panels to control cut lights, wave off lights, manual ball control, and PLAT camera. This can be crewed while in VR.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: Weekend Update
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
Very ambitious.  I wouldn
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »
"Up to 18 spawning locations on the carrier deck."
"Barricade net."
"

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »
the "burble" effect is going to seriously F@#K everyone up the first 100 times we come in to trap.

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 12:21:44 AM »
I think that this will depend on where the mission builder puts the wind from  :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to the "barricade"  :Rofl
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:22:53 AM by AG-51_Razor »

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Whats the burble effect?

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
Just turbulance off the carrier's island. If the boat is steaming directly into the wind, the "wake turbulance" off the island will be straight back behind the boat, maybe just a couple of plane lengths behind the ramp where the plane is "in close". If the ship is on a course that would have the wind off to the left, say 10-15 degrees to the left, then that burble would be further off to the right of the plane's final approach course and the pilot may not even feel it. We'll see how well they model it. If it's anything like what they did with the wake turbulance off other planes, it could be very interesting.  :tongue3:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »
The ships course is supposed to make the winds as close to in line with the landing runway as possible...

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
Oh yeah...
Three more weeks.

FlyGuyF119

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »
Yes! Y'all fly and i'll run the Carrier like a battle ship!

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  :thumbsup: