Author Topic: JDAM Instruction and Type Ord considerations  (Read 1249 times)

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
JDAM Instruction and Type Ord considerations
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:55:55 PM »
Consolidation of notes I've gathered.  If anyone has a chance to try these please let me know if any changes need to be made. The JDAM steps were copied from notes someone captured from Wag's videos.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: JDAM Instruction and Type Ord considerations
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
I have yet to utilize the TOO mode for JDAMs but the one thing that I have gleaned from the forums lately is, the waypoint needs to be placed very accurately on the target with a 0 elevation in the ME so that it will be the correct target elevation in the a/c mission computer.

For the Pre-Planned release mode, I don't go through all of the steps you list there. I don't ever mess with selecting the stations or quantity. I also don't mess with selecting the terminal parameters. I just select the Mission up on the top, then TGT UFC over on the right. I then always enter Elevation (in Feet) first. I then go back to TGT UFC and then hit POS and start with LAT. There are 6 digets, preceded by either a N or S, (depending on the hemisphere) for DD (degrees), MM (minutes), SS (seconds), and hit ENTER, then 2 more numbers for the tenths of seconds and hit ENTER again. You should then see N DD,MM,SS.SS,  E DD,MM,SS.SS  Elevation underneath when you're done. Once the Elevation, Latitude and Longitude have been entered for the first target, I select the next Mission box up on the top and start over.

Once all of the targets have been entered, it is just a matter of bringing up the stores page, selecting JDAM, then JDAM Display and choosing one of the mission boxes. This assigns that target to the first JDAM to drop. I am pretty sure you can select which store comes off first but I have never done that. After selecting the mission box, I see a count down timer and an indication of where the target is on the HUD. I also see the target displayed on my HSI with a max/min range ring around it. You can enter data for many more targets than you have JDAMs for, which allows you to select whichever one you want to hit once you get there. :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 08:14:38 AM »
It took me a few tries using your comments but I finally got it. Pretty easy once you select the right buttons.  :tongue3:

I wish there was a way to preload target info from a data cartridge. Maybe I can figure out how to extract the data from the miz file.

The last GBU in the rearm page seems to be porked. If I select it my game totally freezes up after selecting fly.

Offline AG-51_Sparky

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:55:39 PM »
The TOO mode is so easy that you feel like something is missing when you use it. It's sweet when using waypoints. Always very accurate for me.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 12:09:49 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, in the future updates you can add a WP while in the air using the DDI's. 

I know the  VRS F-18 was able to do this.

https://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3078

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy