Author Topic: My VR experience so far  (Read 2964 times)

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
My VR experience so far
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:50:59 PM »
Up until today I have been pretty disappointed in VR - Oculus Rift. Unlike Sparky, for me, motion sickness kicked in almost immediately which I think was caused mostly by poor looking graphics and low frame rates.
Someone online indicated they got a huge boost in frame-rate simply by updating his nvidia card firmware using this tool: https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

I downloaded and ran it.  My video card is a GTX 1080. After rebooting I went from 25 fps to 45 with all my setting on high. 45 fps is the sweet spot for  VR in DCS.  I still need to do some minor tweaking but I am happy with how things look now and the motion sickness is not as drastic.

As far as the VR experience goes, it is amazing.  You go from looking at a cockpit to being

Offline AG-51_Sparky

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: My VR experience so far
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
Up until today I have been pretty disappointed in VR - Oculus Rift. Unlike Sparky, for me, motion sickness kicked in almost immediately which I think was caused mostly by poor looking graphics and low frame rates.
Someone online indicated they got a huge boost in frame-rate simply by updating his nvidia card firmware using this tool: https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

I downloaded and ran it.  My video card is a GTX 1080. After rebooting I went from 25 fps to 45 with all my setting on high. 45 fps is the sweet spot for  VR in DCS.  I still need to do some minor tweaking but I am happy with how things look now and the motion sickness is not as drastic.

As far as the VR experience goes, it is amazing.  You go from looking at a cockpit to being

Offline AG-51_Glider

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
After looking into it and doing a little research I am going to have to upgrade my video card. I thought I had a 980TX but I have a 970. From what I can determine while i meet the "minimum" requirements I am not going to be able to get decent enough frame rates unless I go 1080 or higher. $500-$600+ for a vid card and then another $350+ for the rift.... we get our bonuses next week so gonna have to see how that turns out. I am looking at almost $1k to upgrade to VR so might not happen anytime soon!

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »
I highly recommend a tracker ball when using VR.

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »
I had Oculus at Razors last Tailhook a couple years ago. To pixelated yet to ID planes but it is so cool seeing DCS in 3D.
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
Agree. I boxed mine while my nephew (aka Dennis the Menace) stayed with us last week. Going to pull it back out and try it again.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
I highly recommend a tracker ball when using VR.

I believe that Voice Attack would do away with the need for a Track Ball mouse since you could program your Voice Attack to move every switch that you would need to use the mouse for. I think that also includes the rotary switches also.  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.