Author Topic: AoA On Speed Training  (Read 2096 times)

Offline AG-51_Skeet

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: AoA On Speed Training
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
Yes, I've seen that one many times!  I enjoy watching that guy’s videos.

Related to your last post Ranger about AoA in the turn; I do tend to get into a porpoise cycle of float and drop, even in straight flight.  I control it pretty well if the throttle is my center of attention.  As soon as I start looking at my computer's keyboard to press select keys, etc. … well there goes my center of attention!

Here is typical of me turning final onto a landing strip:  I go into a 30* bank turn on-speed, E-bracket centered, holding at 800'.  I pull the turn, apply power to keep the velocity vector at or just below the horizon line (my center of attention) and will be okay for a while. Late into the turn: looking back for runway, my TrackIR might blink around, then adjustments to roll out on the BRC, etc.; basically due to the anxiety of the lineup my center of attention drifts.  At probably the worst possible moment, at a mile or so out, I can find myself nose up at 1000' and still climbing.

On a big long runway, being in this situation is not the end of the world. I’ll get it back on-speed, pull the power out, control it at a high rate of decent until I’m at a more appropriate elevation, power back into a 3 degree glideslope, and land on the tire skids. Landing on the boat is going to be much more problematic! The only two times I’ve ever attempted a carrier landing was last evening with Razor, both of which I found myself in that exact scenario – too fast, too high, with limited distance to correct!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
Don't get too discouraged if that Ah Ha moment doesn't come quite as fast as you expect it to. It's just simply a hand eye coordination exercise and I am sure it will come to you.  :thumbsup:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Skeet

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 06:21:36 PM »
If you are distracted by your keyboard, I highly recommend ‘Voice Attack.’  I think most of us here use it...
https://voiceattack.com/
People first.  Integrity always.