Author Topic: Good Tutorial on Carrier Operations  (Read 4599 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Good Tutorial on Carrier Operations
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3199920&postcount=25

This guy that posted in the ED forums is a Hornet pilot in real life and knows what he's talking about.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Re: Good Tutorial on Carrier Operations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
Pattern nice and tight just like we like it  :grin:

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
He was using the VRS 18E bird and the vLSO program.  I couldn't tell if he debriefed his traps in the vLSO but it will show every correction, line up, ball call etc.  His abeam would have been too close as they Rhino is 1.1 - 1.3 and the hornet has a little more leeway to 1.4.

We have a Rhino driver from VFA 31 in my FSX squad and he's been giving all kinds of tips, loadouts and Gauges for the VRS bird.  Unfortunately, FSX has a serious lag issues and is nowhere near the ability to host muiltplayers that DCS does.

As soon as the Hornet comes out, I'm sure my days dabbling in FSX will disappear also

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
Elsewhere in that thread, you'll see that he was not able to get the VLSO to work on his box. He was just providing commentary on the guy's video that he linked in that post. If you go back to the first post in that thread and read all of the comments, you'll find it pretty interesting. Especially when that guy, Kev2go gets on and tries to tell him how fucked up he is and doesn't know what he's talking about! Some of those forum grognards really slay me.  :angry:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
He basically said the guy was long in the groove and needed to start his abeam turn earlier along with some other base commentary....LOL.. All in all made me feel pretty good about what we work on doing...

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »
That's the one good thing vLSO has going it will tell you if your long in the Grove.  However it's like any other program GIGO.  It bases the grove call on the ball call and not your actual position.  You can be 6 miles off the fantail and not be LIG.  I'll shoot some traps later and post the debriefs

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:14 AM »
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3200726&postcount=89

An excellent question here by one of our own, and what sounds like words to live by!  :thumbsup: I hope that the Hornet and the Tomcat FM's are high fidelity enough for this to be noticed.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 03:47:11 AM »
Here here :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
Double double here here.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »
In the video, at 09:59, the guy is talking about "Meatball Motherhood", and he makes a couple of comments that are exactly opposite of what you should be doing. He says for "If Low and slow, correct low, then slow", which may well be exactly correct but he say to do it by correcting the low first by pulling the stick back and then correcting the slow by using the throttle. This is absolutely against everything that Neofighter has said in his post about the autothrottle. He says that you ALWAYS use the stick to maintain your angle of attack (keeping it on speed) and always use your throttle to control your glide path (the vertical component of your approach). "If high and fast, correct fast then high", and again, he indicates that you should use throttle to slow down and the stick to control the altitude. Completely ass backwards!!

We can begin practicing this in the F-15, the Mirage or even the A-10 by getting on the glide slope of an ILS and practice using the stick to control your angle of attack and the throttle to keep you on the glide path. I honestly believe that the more this becomes second nature to us, the more this will help us in getting aboard ship. The "Ball" is the glide path.

Apache600

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 08:58:44 PM »
You could even use the RSBN / PRMG systems in the L-39 or MiG-21 for glide slope practice.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »
Agree L-39 would be great and the C-101... Both be great trainers...

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »
But do any of them have an angle of attack indexer? Without that, the exercise is fairly useless. You need an ILS or the IFOLS as well, to let you know if you are deviating from a desired glide path.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:29:18 AM by AG-51_Razor »

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »
Here are the dash of C-101 and L-39.... L-39 much more basic no AoA.. C-101Great for ILS approach. Would be cool if we could get a land based IFOLS

Jarhead2b

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
In the video, at 09:59, the guy is talking about "Meatball Motherhood", and he makes a couple of comments that are exactly opposite of what you should be doing. He says for "If Low and slow, correct low, then slow", which may well be exactly correct but he say to do it by correcting the low first by pulling the stick back and then correcting the slow by using the throttle. This is absolutely against everything that Neofighter has said in his post about the autothrottle. He says that you ALWAYS use the stick to maintain your angle of attack (keeping it on speed) and always use your throttle to control your glide path (the vertical component of your approach). "If high and fast, correct fast then high", and again, he indicates that you should use throttle to slow down and the stick to control the altitude. Completely ass backwards!!

We can begin practicing this in the F-15, the Mirage or even the A-10 by getting on the glide slope of an ILS and practice using the stick to control your angle of attack and the throttle to keep you on the glide path. I honestly believe that the more this becomes second nature to us, the more this will help us in getting aboard ship. The "Ball" is the glide path.

Paddles Rules to Live By, They're not suggestion to deviate from (they've been written in plenty of blood)<-----side note:new landing modes we use kinda change the firmness of these rules.
If LOW and SLOW fix the LOW then the slow
If Hi and Fast Fix the Fast then the HI
Never re center a hi ball in close
Never lead the low and slow
Always lead the Hi and Fast
Fly the ball all the way to touchdown
Paddles is always right
---------------------------
Here's the unwritten rule
6.)Any pass is salvageable hehe