Author Topic: Huey startup procedure  (Read 7478 times)

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Huey startup procedure
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
Razor, we were talking a little last night about what steps are really necessary to startup the Huey.

If you do the autostart, you see all these steps it's going through, but from what you were saying, a lot of that's not necessary?

What exactly do you do to to get started up?

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Re: Huey startup procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
This is my run down which is fast and easy with the use of the MFD's. Even if no MRD's its easy to walk around and click through it.

1- Anti collision light - On
2- AC Power - AC Phase
3- DC Power - ESS Buss
4- Main Generator - On, close cover
5- Battery - On
6- Audio Alarm (Low RPM) Off
7- Fuel - On
8- Hyd Toggle switch - Up and On
9- Force Trim switch - Up and On
10- CHIP DET Toggle [Tail, Dwn - XMSN, Up]
11- Throttle roll to off return to 1/4-1/2 of full
12- Press and Hold Starter until 40% N1 - Idle up to full
13- Starter to Stby Gen - Down
14- Inverter to Main
15- Radar Altimeter Power On, Low set dial until number displays in Gauge
16- Sync Compass - set Heading if needed... Done in 60 Secs...
17- Do but not really necessary... DC Power Dial to Main GEN

Then for weapons

Roll Flare counter to 30 and arm flares
Arm Selector to Safe
Set Rocket Pairs if applicable

Take Off ----------------------------
                    ----
                     --

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
1. I turn the battery on, cancel the low RPM warning.

2. Turn the fuel switch on as well as the Hydraulics and force trim.

3. Then hit the start button and hold it till 12% Gas Producer, then advance the throttle full open and then back to minimum against the idle stop.

4. At about 48-50% GP rpm I let go of the starter and advance the throttle just a little bit and wait till it settles down.

5. Then I close the cover on the main generator, turn on the stand by generator and turn on the main (or spare, it makes no difference) inverter.

6. At this point, after you advance the throttle to full open, you're ready to fly.

7. I cancel the Master Caution (reset) and put the IFF into stand by.

8. Lights and Radios have not been a big concern for me as yet, I'm still trying to figure out the weapons systems!

I'd say that I can have rotors up to 100% within a minute or 2 max and ready to break ground.

I never saw a Rad Alt in any Huey I flew. Rolling the throttle up then down checks the idle stop. I leave it at the closed position, then at about 12% I advance it all the way open then right back to minimum, where it comes in contact with the idle stop. I guess I'm not too worried about burning up a 1/4 million dollars worth of engine in this simulator! LOL! There are a whole bunch of things we do in any helicopter before starting an engine just to make sure that the systems are functioning as they should. We check the flight controls to insure that there are no bindings or restrictions, the master caution panel to see that all the light bulbs are working and that all the lights that are on, should be on and that there are none on that shouldn't be, check the fuel gauges and low fuel warning system, check the chip detectors, check all of the switched in the lower and upper consoles to make sure they are where they are supposed to be, etc. etc. etc. All this is done because our lives could very well depend on one of those switches or systems and we want to know ahead of time before leaving the warm embrace of Mother Earth!  :Rofl

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
Thanks Razor and Bulldog!

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
Opps forgot I do IFF too Same time I go to turn on Inverter, so to clear Caution light..

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

VT-51_Snooch

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
I've just been following Chuck's guide on the Huey start up, which is pretty much the same as Bulldogs.
You can skip a lot of the pre-flight stuff as these are already in correct position at spawn in.
Very curious to try Razor's "minimal switch press" start up for a quick get up and go!  :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
The concept is fairly common amongst most turbine powered helicopters I have flown. You need to motor the engine up to about 12-15% N1 (Ng or Gas Producer) speed before introducing fuel for the start. Some engines use a rather complicated fuel control process where they use a reduced amount of fuel, called "start fuel", before bring in main fuel but more often than not that is done automatically. Some engines have you turn on the igniters BEFORE introducing fuel and some just have the igniters come on when the starter trigger is pulled (in the case of the Huey) or button pushed. Once you get a fire going in the combustion section, you'll see the T5, T7, TOT, ITT, TITT, whatever the engine manufacturer calls it, begin to rise fairly rapidly. In most helicopters with healthy engines, and healthy batteries, this is usually not a problem. But on a hot day, for a second start, you'd better have your eyes glued to the temperature gauge to make damn sure you don't cook your engine before you even get the chance to over torque it in flight!  :Rofl  At around 40-50% N1, the start is completed and the starter and igniters should be shut off. The engine is running on it's own now, just like a little perpetual motion machine. All you need to do is keep feeding it fuel and air. LOTS of fuel!! You then roll on the throttle to maximum and throughout the rest of the flight, assuming everything is running normally, all you need to do is pull up on the collective for more power and push down for less. The fuel control and governor keep track of what the engine output to the transmission is doing and supplies more or less fuel to the combustion section depending on what the demands are on the engine.

Clear as mud??  :tongue3:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_MD44

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »
 :thumbsup:

My Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, i7-3820@ 4.55GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
1 Push Autostart
2 Set up weapons and flares
3 Grab Beer
4 Go pee
5 Fly

Pretty simple for me

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_MD44

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »

My Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, i7-3820@ 4.55GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070