Author Topic: HOLY SHIT  (Read 2128 times)

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
HOLY SHIT
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: HOLY SHIT
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »
What a bummer! :sad5:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 01:56:01 AM »

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
Something about this doesn't seem right for some reason??? Wasn't aware of the 7 missing Sailors.

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Glider

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »
Something about this doesn't seem right for some reason??? Wasn't aware of the 7 missing Sailors.

They should have done a alpha roster muster as soon as it happened and they had any flooding under control.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
I am kinda looking at this as just an accident, with a ship with some of the best Radar capabilities ever - or - Operation gone awry..
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:47:05 AM by AG-51_Bulldog »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »
You can bet that this captain's career is over and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he were court marshaled over this. You are absolutely right Dog, there is no excuse for that destroyer ever letting a surface contact get with 10 miles of it without it being tracked AND classified! It is obvious that there were more than a few folks asleep at the wheel that night.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »
I actually think there is more to this story than we will ever know!!! Yes there will be some sacrificial lambs. Question 1? How many Souls would actually be on deck while on a modern day Destroyer at 2 am? No interior breech big enough to flush anyone.. Any external visual look out or deck personnel would be listed and sought for immediately. 1 Williamson turn surely would have found somebody out of that many. Not to mention the deployables that could have been instantly launched?? With new news on Philippines almost everyday, why does it just happen to be a Philippine cargo ship? How many personnel would you deploy on a sneak n' peak??? Captain may have not had a choice but to ram, unless to start some international incident???  Conspiracy I know but it gets you thinking.

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
Long long ago in a sea far far away around 0130 during an underway replenishment, I woke up to take a leak.  When I got back in my rack I heard what sounded like an alarm clock going off, then I hear coming over the 1MC "Emergency Breakaway, Emergency Breakaway".............. huh, I'm still half asleep............... then I feel the boat gently rock back and forth................... then I hear "Report all casualties to the bridge................. quickly followed by "the klaxon going off and General Quarters, general quarters all hands man your battle stations..................... THIS IS NOT A DRILL.............. oh shit......................... come to find out a Liberian tanker placed itself off our port side coming at a 90 degree angle.......... they sent it messages in English over the guard (at sea version) and light signals.  It would not change course............ so emergency break away, let the Oiler turn to starboard, so we can turn to starboard, but we took their bow along our port side, ripped off catwalk, missile director radar and the LSO jump net.............  this was during the Iranian Hostage crisis my last cruise on the USS Constellation.  No more than a month before that the USS Ranger was hit in almost the exact same way going thru the Straights of Malacca near Singapore at night in a narrow passage.  It tore up the port side just like us, but put a big gouge in the bow, that had to be filled with concrete..... also tore the tail off an F-4, and cause an explosion in the LOX shop...............  big mess............... and I believe that one was a Liberian registered ship as well. You can google both incidents and see pictures. She was our relief................ she limped back to the PI and then Japan........... and the Midway had to make an emergency trip out to relive us on station.  Fun Cruise................  we spent 110 days straight at sea that trip..................... Loads of fun...................

Unless that container ship was being run by Muslim Philipinos or their families were at risk to do it I don't think it was intentional..............  and yes that skipper's career is over, so is the OOD on that watch shift......... (Officer of the Deck) his radar and lookouts should of seen it, there are maritime rights of passage and rules for navigation and who has the right of way at sea........... obviously they were a second thought on both ships...

I'm just sorry for the sailors and their families that are unaccounted for............

Cheers

Hoss

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:36:38 PM by AG-51_Hoss »