Author Topic: Tanking and Instrument Approach Training Part II  (Read 1095 times)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Tanking and Instrument Approach Training Part II
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
I set this up to give me a very long straight away for the tanker track. If you take your time coming up behind the tanker and wait till you're well past his first waypoint - 2 or 3 minutes at least - before calling him to let him know you want some gas, he'll continue on to the next waypoint, but if you call him up right away, he'll begin to go into an orbit that never straightens out :BangHead:

I have been using this mission to practice using the radios, both manual and preset frequencies, as well as the radar and autopilot functions. It's been very instructive  :thumbsup:  You will notice that the default UHF freq set into the lower feq display on the panel is 251. That is the freq for the tanker. To use that freq, hit LALT + Keypad - and you will see a radio menu appear. Choose F6 for the tanker and then F1 for Intent to fuel and then F1 again for Ready Pre-Contact. After you have exhausted yourself trying to plug in, go down to the two radios and turn the preset knobs to CH 15 on both. Now you are in contact with the tower at Kutasi, where you will be making your instrument approach. You can use the standard back slash key to use the upper radio or the LALT + Keypad - for the lower radio.

This morning I was able to get a full bag from him for the very first time EVER!!   :headbang:  If you DL this mission, I can tell you that you will have a very nice closure rate (inside of 100 yds) at 303-4 Kts. I am watching the basket and airspeed once I am about even with the tail of the tanker. I made contact at 302 and settled down to 301 for the rest of the event. Note: the refuel transfer SW has three positions, down for OFF, middle for NIGHT, and UP for day. I am not at all sure what the night position does but I am pretty sure that it was in that position the first time I plugged in and the tanker wouldn't give me any gas. Once I put it all the way up and got plugged in, it was a piece of cake.

I have my stick curve set to 35 in both pitch and roll and I put the FBW configuration SW in the Air to Ground position to dampen the control inputs even more.

Once you have had enough of banging your head against the basket, bring up waypoint #2 (if it's not already there) and descend to 15K. Once at #2, go to #3 descending to 5K. Once past 3, I hit the APP key on the CAS panel and begin the approach. The ILS is 109.75 and the TACAN is X22. Enjoy!!  :BangHead:   :Rofl
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:32:10 PM by AG-51_Razor »

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Re: Tanking and Instrument Approach Training Part II
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
You Dog you.... Does this make us even????... Na I think I need live evidence...hehe... That's actually awesome you have proved that it can be done!!!! Time to get to work I guess!!! :glasses3: Oh and by the way when you have your switch is at night it turns on a head lamp on your probe.. Go to external views and you will see the light... Havent go along far enough to test at night to see if it actually lights the basket, but it may??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:38:36 PM by AG-51_Bulldog »

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »
Very nice practice mission... Love the way you got the weather set... bounced off the basket for about 30 minutes the returned to finally see the artificial runway through the clouds,,,(first Time)... Practiced with the ILS plenty but I have always bee able to see... LoL... Great experience!!!!

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
I have no idea what happened since that first time but I'll be damned if I can get plugged into that basket again! :BangHead:

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
I tried it yesterday for the first time. Over the course of 30 minutes or so I made contact with the basket twice. Both times I able to hold it for about 3 milliseconds. Yikes, that's gonna take some practice...and a miracle I think!  :icon_biggrin:

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
My basket weaving tolerances are narrowing some... It's got to just be a matter of time!!!!