Author Topic: Looking For a New Monitor  (Read 3714 times)

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Re: Looking For a New Monitor
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
Outstandinding.
However looks like you got the last one...LOL...

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Commanding Officer Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »
That's not the Costco site. They had stacks of them when I bought mine last week.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 07:43:34 PM »
Don't have Costco..LOL.. Regardless mine will have to wait for another day and time.. However I may Have stumbled into a temporary big screen fix using Animals TV guide- We'll see???

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Senior AG-51 Member Mission Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
What's your impression with that monitor now that you've had it for a while?  I'm planning on treating myself to a new monitor and I high end video card when I get back from my next trip. Maybe gtx1060 - gtx1080. The TV monitor is tempting but still a little confused about best options.

I thought about getting a triplehead2go and three monitors but for the same price I can buy a high end card and bigger monitor.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »
High end card and biggest monitor you can afford is the way to go IMHO.

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 IP and Smart Dude Senior AG-51 Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:49 PM »
High end card and biggest monitor you can afford is the way to go IMHO.
I concur...I have used both setups and the Larger monitor works better...on a separate note; with a high end card, you do not need tripplehead.
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 09:14:20 AM »
I still use the old Samsung LCD TV/monitor think it is 42".  I love it.

Wide screen TVs/Monitors (HD TV), Should be 16:9 ratio which is 1920x1080 pixel resolution(or some other multiple thereof).
Wide screen 'enhanced' TV's are usually 5:3 ratios such as 1680x1050 pixel resolution.
Standard TV screens are 4:3 ratios such as multiples of 1600x1200 pixel resolution.
Ultra HD TV's (4k TV's) are also typically 16:9 ratio but have 4 times the pixel density of a HD TV at 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution, but need a graphics card capable of driving it and in some cases the application may have to support the ultra definition as well for it to be beneficial.  That is like running 4 monitors though and will be a resource hog. (wave of the future).

Otherwise look for the highest contrast ratio you can afford.
Preferably if you look at TV's make sure they are also marketed as a computer monitor as tv's tend to have signal lag times higher than monitors and regular tv's may have a lower refresh rate than what a monitor is capable of. Also tv's marketed as also being a monitor usually have nice gamer things like Gama adjustments and special refresh rate modes that are supposed to work better than average tv's for gaming etc.

So, I treated myself to a slightly early Christmas present with a Samsung 55" curved screen TV for my gamer monitor. It looks amazing but I have a few issues with it that need to be resolved before it will be of any use as my gaming monitor. The first, and most serious issue is the mouse curser in game not being aligned with where the game sees it. In other words, while in cockpit or even when in the GUI, the little cross representing the mouse curser is not syncronized with where the game sees it. This makes it almost impossible to use it in the cockpit. The game doesn't have a resolution of 3840x2160 so I am wondering how to get that figured out. Any suggestions Animal?

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »
You need to change your ‘In-game’ resolution setting to match your TV resolution.  That should fix the mouse problem, I think.  If not there may be a game file that needs to be changed.  I will look into it further this afternoon.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
I finally got that figured out and the mouse is workinf perfectly!  :thumbsup: Thanks Animal. I now have that nasty issue with my power supply suddenly dropping the ball and then coming back to life. I guess I finally have to replace that.  :sad5:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
 :glasses3:
I am home now.  Let me know if you need any help with setup or anything.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »
Thanks Bud. I'd say that I hope you're not in too much pain but I know that you have access to the good stuff, which may not do anything for the pain but might just help take your mind off it! I spoke with a couple of computer techs today and it is beginning to look like this sudden shut down and power back up is more likely the MoBo or the video card.  :sad5:

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Telum Securlus Fanaticus
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 08:19:25 PM »
get an older monitor and hook up to your Mobo video out and see if it still does it, if it does not it's the video card, if it does it's the Mobo.........  I told the wife everything was going to shit and built a new computer about six months ago........  I'm following the monitor conversation  I need to get my new Video card, prolly an RTX2080 super or Ti........ not sure yet.......  with either of those I should be able to run just about any monitor.  How the hell are you guys doing?...........   I guess you are wearing out the non-skid on the flight deck with all the cat shots and traps....   you guys have any videos of your ops?
Cheers
Hoss

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 09:29:57 PM »
Sadly, this has been going on, very intermittently mind you, with my previous monitor. It would occasionally happen after about a half hour of flight. Last night, it happened on my first flight within 15 minutes. I am guessing it's the MoBo. I am going to go ahead and order RAM, a new Proc and a new vid card to go with it. It might be a while before I will be flying with y'all again. We'll see.

Offline AG-51_Lahsoldier

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder AG-51 IP and Smart Dude AG-51 Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
So I got on the new monitor kick and wife got me a Dell S3220DGF 32" curved monitor.       Thoughts?   https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories
Best laid plans of mice and men are in vain if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.