Author Topic: Books  (Read 2667 times)

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
Books
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
After several months, and numerous re-check outs, I have finally finished reading the book Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason.  It's about a Vietnam Helicopter Pilots's experiences.  I enjoyed it but really didn't get a good feeling for his experiences like I had hope to. 
I have always had a hard time reading books and always envious of those who can read a book in a relatively short time.

Any suggestions on the next one?  Trying to focus on the UH-1.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
I would recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/Seawolf-28-J-Billings-ebook/dp/B004LGTIBG/ref=sr_1_61?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478477243&sr=1-61&keywords=vietnam+helicopters

I read "Chickenhawk" a long time ago and I enjoyed it a great deal but other pilots I have known that served in Viet Nam - some in his unit - did not share my opinion. I did feel that, towards the end of the book, he was making excuses for his bad behavior, blaming it on his time in Viet Nam, but aside from that, I found it to be an entertaining story.

This Sea Wolf's tale sounds a bit self promoting as well but just the same, I think it is very entertaining.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
Thank you Razor.  Agree with what you said.  He back tracked about some of the people he mentioned later.  Also, the cover mentioned some problems he had afterwards being a drug runner but then there was only a sentence about it in the end.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
I guess I am a little biased towards the Navy helicopter pilots.
You Think!!!!....LOL...

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)