Author Topic: What the heck is going on?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Senior AG-51 Member Mission Builder
    • Awards
What the heck is going on?
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
My wifes computer won't boot up.  When I boot in safe mode it always stops at crcdisc.sys,  pauses for a while and then a quick blue screen then blank.  I tried running the Restore CD.  It goes to the loading file phase and just stays at a blank dark screen with the mouse pointer.

I tried to create a new Restore CD from my computer and was experiencing the same thing.  Was able to run Restore from last week but now I get a "CPU Overheat Error" but it continues to boot up after I hit F1. 

Virus?  Am I just porked x 2.  WTF???

Help!!!!

My Wife:  Vista 32bit
Mine:  Vista Ultimate 64Bit
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:51:17 AM by AG-51_Thud »

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
Re: What the heck is going on?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:49:56 AM »
Sounds like your wife's PC does have a Trojan. Your PC sounds like your CPU chipset fan has failed. By hitting F1 you have continued to post to Windows with no heatsink fan. It sounds like you may have already fried the CPU or it hits a level of 90deg C before you post Windows. At 90deg C your PC shuts down your CPU.

I can fix them but I would both up here. It may be better to find someone local BUT they may just bail on spending hours on hours repairing and troubleshooting and say you need a new PC.

What you could do on your PC is see if your fan is spinning. If it is then you may just need to reset the fan/heatsink for your PC CPU. Keep in mind damage my have already be done.

Your wife's PC may have a Trojan. Is it a Dell or something?? This one will be tricky. You would have to buy a hard drive that has the same model number exactly from somewhere. Install the new drive and run the disc that came with the PC. Their website should have a list of drives that came with the PC. Dell, Gateway and others use a bios check on hardware so any other model hard drive may not work, but you could try.

Once windows is loaded you can download a good antivirus like Karpinsky << spelled wrong  and then connect the drive as a slave. You will only be able to recover files from this old drive once you have tested it for Trojans.

Other options may work but I really would have to have it here to see it. I'm just guessing what it is from your explanation.

Call me!
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
Your wife's bluescreen could be bad memory too. Try using only 1 stick in A1 slot at a time. The bad module won't work but I'm sure 1 of them is still good. Blue screen could be bad system ram, bad video ram, bad hard drive if it is an SSD, or mistimed ram and CPU, or Trojan which changed boot settings.
=Cobraj=

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
I'll call shortly. 

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
As far as mine, one of the clips holding the CPU fan on was cracked.  I just lightly wiggled it and it came off.  The fan was running when I opened the case.  Now I gotta go find some clips somewhere.  Bestbuy doesn't have crap anymore and Radio Shack here closed.

Still TS the wifes computer...no luck yet.

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:29 AM »
OK, now I'm really bent out of shape.  First the wife's computer stops (per Cobraj, probably a bad hard drive).  Then mine acts up I get it fixed and then my secondary HD stops.  No I get this error on the little e-book:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrutp:  \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONGIG\SYSTEM

Looking up on the internet for the e-book error also suggests a HD failure.

I only have the install CDs for mine and a recovery CD for the wife.  Nothing for the XP.

Wife:  32Bit Vista
Mine 64Bit Vista Ultimate
Ebook XP 32bit

All three have Avast and I run Malwarebytes regularly.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 09:11:13 AM by AG-51_Thud »

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
Are all 3 on the net? I assume so, assuming that I would say it is highly unlikely that you had 3 failures on 3 different machines without having gotten a Trojan loader. Sounds like it has infected all of your network devices. All though Avast and any other antivirus is running you could have gotten something new. Facebook and other social networks are used to spread new Trojans and viruses. Liz had one on Facebook just opening a picture which is a common way they get them into your computer.

There is no way to stop getting it if the antivirus company has not shared a definition update yet. Updating your definitions for your antivirus programs should be set to daily for both the program and definition update checks.

Your ebook sounds like it deleted a key windows file. All 3 of your PCs should be reformat an a new Windows install be done. You can backup folders and files either on a disk, online, or on a slave drive. The Slave should be also wiped clean doing a full format. Then keep one PC going to connect this slave drive and scan after all of your files and folders are saved on it.

I have an XP that I can upload to the server if you need it. Do you have a key? What version of XP 32 is it? Media, Home or other?
=Cobraj=

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:22:02 AM »
A friend of mine repairs computers for a living.  He is making a vista and XP install CD set for me.  I gotta go get an external cd drive for the ebook though.  I think the common denominator is facebook.
I think I'll try that other virus soiftware you mentioned as well.  Avast has been pretty good but since it's free you get what you pay for.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
I use the pay for Avast and it seems to do a good job... in addition I use the free ver. of super anti spyware where I run a sweep about once a month, plus I use the Iobit Advanced System Care which helps keep the junk out, registry clean things like that... I think I picked that up for about 9 bucks..... I got off of Face book because I too was picking up all kinds of unwanted crap... and that was with being careful with what I clicked on..... I do recomend the Super Spyware though it seems to find and even fix the trojan stuff... prety well... as far as the rest I feel they are all comprable with whatever is out there... Paid versions I think are worth the extra dime in todays world... My 2 cents...

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
The worst part of this ordeal is that everyone has migrated to my computer.  Even after repeatingly warning them to say away from Facebook etc they still go there.  It's their social place so I understand.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
FB for the most part is ok I believe.... You just can't go click crazy and you have to be careful for bad stuff lodged in video and picture thumbnails..... things like that... plus all those games are tracking, cookie placing, Trojan hiding, spam monsters out to get your IP.... Just food fo thought...

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)