Author Topic: RC Flyers need to Register with FAA  (Read 5035 times)

Offline AG-51_Glider

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
RC Flyers need to Register with FAA
« on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »
Yep more bureaucracy... but at least if you register before Jan 20th they will refund you the $5 fee. Know one believes that this will keep idiots from flying drones where they shouldn't be. As usual the honest folks will mark their RC planes with their numbers and those who are not going to follow the rules will just not mark theirs and still not get caught. Applies to any RC aircraft of any type weighing more than .55 lbs (including any attachments such as GoPro's etc) and less that 55 lbs. If it weighs over 55 lbs it has to have a full blown aircraft registration.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

Yes I registered.   :cwm21:

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
Re: RC Flyers need to Register with FAA
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »
I don't fly my plane anymore.  It is just mounted on the wall.  Think I need to register it?  Anyone interested in buying it, let me know and I will send info.
People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Glider

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:09:17 PM »
You don't actually register the craft you register as a UAV pilot. You are then supposed to put your pilot registration number on any planes you fly. So if you don't ever plan on flying it I would not worry about it. If you think you might fly rc again then register. Cheap and basically free until Jan 20th.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
I'll take it off your hands animal if you dont want it anymore

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Animal

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 06:51:28 PM »
https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-airplanes/rtf/GPMA1605.html

This is the model.  Never been crashed.  I have the radio and servos out and it needs one pushrod for the nosewheel steering I think.  Engine is barely broke in and the flaps are operational.  Wingspan is 62.5 inches.  Wings separate into two pieces but would still cost a bit to ship I think.  Engine is O.S. .46AXII AB.  Might have the original box.  Will have to look.

People first.  Integrity always.

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »
Looks and sounds like the one I built years ago. $500 controller and all kinds of upgrades I custom made for it. The biggest let down is I was to chicken shit to flying in fear of crashing it. Ended up sell it for half what I had into in. LOL
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Thud

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
I know it's beauracy to you put this new breed of drone owners think it's their right to fly around commercial and military airports so they can get really cool videos and picture with little regards to safety. I believe the current number of near misses reported by pilots taking off or landing is around 35 per month.

Not so safe at sporting events either:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/sports/2015/12/23/drone-nearly-hits-skier-marcel-hirscher.cnn

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
Ya I actually don't have a problem with the Government trying to set some rules and regulations on this (can't believe I just said that!!) Bad thing when the government gets involved it never stops, increasing regulations and rules, making things more and more expensive to operate, business etc... only affecting those who try to do right and never doing anything to truly fix stupid!!!

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »
Just wait until we have our first mid-air with fatalities! Can you say, "Drone Zsar"???

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Sabot

• Global Moderator
  • Active
  • My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
Just wait until we have our first mid-air with fatalities! Can you say, "Drone Zsar"???

To be honest with you, I see that happening more with your line of work than any other.  Some "want-a be"  shooting footage about Bambi fleeing the fire being sucked into the intake of a turbo-prop

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
I agree with you 100%! We're going to lose a tanker on a fire, there's no doubt in my mind about it!

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Skeetr

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »
My kids are all enthusiastic about drones.  They don't understand my ire.  I had enough of lasers and RC nightflyers around hospitals.  I feel for those still flying. :angry3:

Offline AG-51_Glider

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »
Yea but do you really think registration will deter the idiots? I agree with all that you guys say but don't think registration will do a damn thing. Honest folks will comply but they are the ones who wouldn't do the stupid stuff to begin with.

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
Agree!! Like I said the Government can't fix stupid people!! and those people won't be the ones registering anyways.. Sound familiar!!

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 06:25:29 PM »
They don't have anyone to enforce this
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."