Author Topic: Tech advice  (Read 2183 times)

Viper

Tech advice
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:19:58 AM »
Not wanting to leave any stone unturned... if if any of you fine gentlemen have tech knowledge on proper installation of hard drives please check out this thread and let me know what my best settings would be to get the best performance out of my new hd.

THanks! Viper

link to tech question

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
Re: Tech advice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
What cache size is it? They make a 32mb and 64mb drive? You must be using Vista operating system because the best score possible is 5.9 score. Your specs and tests look good. Nice and fast read write speeds. I don't see anywhere that you could improve really.
=Cobraj=
Air Group 51 Commanding Officer (RET)

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
This is my test with an SSD SATA 2 for compare. SSD rules for performance.
=Cobraj=

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure."

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »
Also SATA3 devices are not fully supported in Vista, Windows 7 64 bit is your best upgrade right now.
=Cobraj=

Viper

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »
Gotta get me one of those SSD

But anyway, thanks for the response. I'm running W7 64 ultimate and the HD is a 64 cache, and after researching today I found out what you just said, as far as mechanical drives go 5.9 is pretty much the best you can do in a single drive setup. You have to do a hybrid or SSD to get better in WEI.

I ASSumed by going to SATA 3 I'd see a nice bump but didn't do my homework and now I know there ain't a nickel's difference between SATA2 and 3 right now.

Oh well, got a full Tbyte and its a 10% faster than the old drive. It's all good!

Offline AG-51_Cobraj

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • 51 Group
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:43 PM »
Yeah the 10% increase is more due to the 64mb cache if it was access time increase. SSD is a monster performer but sustained write speeds is mega $$$. You have to get $300- $500 SSD to get the same high transfer sustained speeds as you get in say a Raptor drive. Revo drives for Pci-e slots are even faster then SSD but are even bigger money for much smaller size drives.
=Cobraj=