Author Topic: Battle of Coral Sea  (Read 6619 times)

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
Battle of Coral Sea
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »
Here are some screenies of the coops I have done for the battle of the Coral Sea....

Just one more mission to do and I can move onto Midway

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
Re: Battle of Coral Sea
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
Can these missions be run in HSFX 6.01? Obviously the Iowa wouldn't be in the mission but then, it wasn't in that battle anyway.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »
Dude!............
  • The  Allied fleet was built around two American carrier task forces. Task Force 17,  under Rear Admiral Jack Fletcher, had been patrolling the south Pacific for two  months. It was centred around the modern carrier USS Yorktown (CV-5), supported by the heavy cruisers Astoria, Chester and Portland, the destroyers Hammann, Anderson, Russell, Walke, Morris and Sims and the oil tanker Neosho (AO-23).
    The  only other carrier available was the older Lexington (CV-2), of Task Force 11 (Rear Admiral  Aubrey Fitch). The Lexington was supported by the heavy cruisers Minneapolis and New Orleans, the destroyers Phelps, Dewey, Farragut, Aylwin and Monaghan and the oil tanker Tippecanoe (AO-21). Task Force 11 had just spent  three weeks resting and resupplying at Pearl Harbor, before sailing south on 16  April.
I built these missions on HSFX 6.0.1 using the stock Coral Sea map in HSFX..   and built them for this Air Group to use, the MDS missions I built for DBS are also on HSFX 6.0.1 Expert mode.
As you can see there were no Battleships at the battle of Coral Sea., I just stuck the USS Iowa into HSFX just to see if I could get it to work, so when the the "All Seeing/Knowing Eye" and "HammerJ" get around to doing a Mod pack they will know it's compatible with HSFX, it has an animated flag too, looks great.  And maybe Big Toe/Eye, can get us the Enterprise too boot, can't believe HSFX group left that out.  And maybe the Yorktown will be finished by then too.  And Fireball/Cobraj can get it done for us. 

I started on the Midway missions, I have the morning strike done, I have the afternoon strike to do next.  Maybe I'll do the Marine raids on the morning of June 4th from Midway too.  And then I can do the Japanese side of the campaign. 

Cheers
Hoss
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:01:27 PM by AG-51_Hoss »

Offline AG-51_Glider

• AG-51 Active Roster
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
Most excellent Hoss can't wait to try them out!!

And I agree- why no one has done the Enterprise yet? Why didn't not Oleg put it into the original either??? Oh yeah that is right the coding would not allow it  :angry3:

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
Wasn't the Enterprise somehow caught up in Oleg's legal issues with Grumman?

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
Then all the Yorktown Class ships should be off limits then........  She was built by Newport News ships building Co.  as were a lot of other ships, the Enterprise was one of only 3 Carriers commissioned before the war that survived the war, (Ranger, Saratoga)

• Enterprise was returning to Oahu on the morning of 7 December 1941: 18 SBD Dauntlesses of Enterprise squadrons Scouting Squadron Six (VS-6) and Bombing Squadron Six (VB-6) arrived over Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack and, though surprised, immediately went into action in defense of the naval base. VS-6 lost six planes during the attack, while VB-6 lost one. Several of these planes were shot down by the Japanese; however, at least one plane was lost to heavy antiaircraft (AA) fire, and many more were damaged. At one point a radio report was heard: "Do not attack me, this is Six Baker Three an American plane" and later the same pilot (Ensign Manuel Gonzales of VB-6) was heard ordering his radioman/gunner to prepare for a water landing. Lieutenant C. E. Dickinson and his crewmate William C. Miller of VS-6 shot down one Japanese plane before being forced to bail out after their plane caught fire. Dickinson later made his way to Ford Island to man another plane, and participated in the search for the Japanese fleet. He was recommended for a commendation for "displaying a superb courage, stamina, devotion to duty, unexcelled logic and coolness in action."
    Enterprise also launched six F4F Wildcats of Fighting Squadron Six (VF-6) in the wake of the attack; all except two were shot down by shell-shocked AA gunners as they attempted to land on Ford Island that night. The carrier, meanwhile, assembled her remaining aircraft in a fruitless search for the Japanese striking force; the search was to the south and west of Oahu, while the Japanese retired to the northwest. Enterprise put into Pearl Harbor for fuel and supplies on the night of 8 December, and sailed early the next morning to patrol against possible additional attacks in the Hawaiian Islands. Although the group encountered no surface ships, Enterprise aircraft sank Japanese submarine I-70 at 23

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
Asheshouse is working on the Yorktown: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,20739.0.html and he does beautiful work. It could stand in for the Hornet and/or the Enterprise.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Hoss

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Semper Fortis
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Yeah, that's what DBS group is waiting for to run my Coral Sea, Midway MDS maps I made for them. 

He got to a certain point and I think he's burnt out a little bit and has slowed down. 

And what the hell happened to that Ranger model?...........................

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »