Author Topic: Dancing With The Basket  (Read 4735 times)

VT-51_Snooch

Re: Dancing With The Basket
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »
I have a theory......
This is from what I noticed, but I was not watching like I should all the time trying to stay steady, so if I'm wrong help me out. :icon_biggrin:

Green only  = cleared contact.
Green + solid amber = contact
Green + blinking amber = taking fuel
Red + solid amber = getting too close, fuel transfer stopped.
Blinking red = break away
All lights blinking, green, amber, red = I believe fuel transfer complete..... because I did not get a voice confirmation. Also can't remember how many pounds in the Hornet when tanks are full.
I do remember 6000 in the left and 6000 in the right when I broke away.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:19:09 PM by AG-51_Snooch »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
  • Awards Mission Builder CO of AG-51
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 04:34:34 PM »
Interesting observations. I will try it again and see if I can't replicate those indications.  :thumbsup:

With no external tanks, a full bag for the Hornet is 10,800lbs I believe.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

VT-51_Snooch

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »
Ok, tried it again with a close eye on the pod and I pretty much think I have it all wrong or just parcially..... LOL :toothy3:
I got the transfer complete voice notification this time at 13000 lbs,  6500 in left and right tanks and drop tank.
Amber light still looks like its tied to fuel transfer.
Green and red look like they are indicating my position in relation to the tanker.
Solid green when in a good position with basket captured and blinking amber light taking fuel.
Turned red when I got too low or too high. Blinking red when in danger of collision with tanker.
Got all three lights blinking just prior to getting "transfer complete" notification.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:44:17 PM by AG-51_Snooch »

Offline AG-51_Fireball

• AG-51 Reserve Roster
  • Active
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »
I just noticed those lights yesterday for the first time, but couldn't make head or tails of what it was trying to tell me. I figured it was probably something useful.  :icon_biggrin:

And speaking of dancing with the basket, here's a little  video I found. It's funny sitting here watching it, but it does show how dicey aerial refueling can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-RcBAZ5bx4
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:59:54 PM by AG-51_Fireball »

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
I believe that I just saw pretty much the same thing. The only difference is, for a short while there, while I felt like I was in a pretty good position, the green was on steady and the other two were off. A second time, I plugged in and stayed on for the entire time. Moved around to see if one position was better then another and then was told transfer complete and the whole time all three lights were blinking at me. Go figure. This feature was added to 1.5 and 2.0 this month. It is mentioned in the changelog notes for both versions.

Any pilot that tells you he's never been lost is either lying or he's never been anywhere.

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
That must be the Iron Maiden that Jarhead is so fond of!!  :tongue3:

Offline AG-51_Bulldog

• Administrator
  • Active
  • "When in doubt, Shoot!"
  • Awards AG-51 Reserve
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »
Good to see an interest here again! Judging by the starting post of this thread it has been a year almost to the day since we were on the Hornet.. How time flies!!!

"If you think your 6 is clear, I guess you're not thinking" ;~)

Offline AG-51_Razor

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 11:35:07 PM »
Yes indeed!